How to: - 2nd Gen 4wd Troubleshooting Guide | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen 4wd Troubleshooting Guide

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
i checked everything on the truck had it up on blocks today and id say its a vacuum leak cause i hear a hissing noise where do i find the vacuum lines at lol any help ? thanks

Please start a new thread and someone will be along to help shortly.

Thank You,
The Management.

p.s. It's not a vacuum leak. Follow the directions posted in this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

help me please ive asked mutiple people for help and no ones helping i need to start a new forum so i can get some help but i dont know wherer to go or what to do please explain in detail my email is ttavenieriii@aol.com thanks

Your first post was in the wrong thread. Your second post was just 15 minutes ago. Go to the lost of forums, click on 'Transmissions, transfer cases, and Differentials' then click on the 'New Thread' button at the top.

Please list the year, model, and engine of the vehicle you're having problems with, as well as all the details you can give about what the problem is and what the conditions are when it occurs. The more information you can give about the problem, the more help we can be in troubleshooting it.

Good luck!

2002 Ford 4X4 4.8 V8 XFER CASE

The lights for either hi or low do not come one, when the buttons are pressed.

This vehicle is in 4 wheel drive all the time. It has either HI or LO.
It will not transfer to low.

What are chances that the 4X4 computer module is kaput.

The number on the module is 1L24-7H473-AG
I have been told by the Ford garage that there are a number of revisions to
this device. The above number is the OEM module.

Have you had any trouble like this?

help

I forgot to mention.... I plan to expand this to include the 1st gens if anyone thinks it'll be helpful... they'll be similar to these, but I'm not awake enough at this point to get into them... Hopefully later this week or this weekend if time permits. I'm not as familiar with 1st gens as I am with the 2nd gens, but I'm willing to do some reading and learn a new trick or two. If anyone has any suggestions for that portion, please e-mail or PM them to me. Thanks!

if the 1st gen is a 94 then great cause i need help

Hi guys!
I have a 2002 ford explorer xlt 4wheel drive and I installed new hubs and bearing assembly last summer. I just tried to use my 4x4 and I have no lights at all. No power whatsoever. I installed and checked all wires and fuses but can't find anything wrong.
Any ideas?? Need help please

I responded in your other thread this morning. Yours is a third-generation Explorer. This troubleshooting guide is of no use to you. Please see my response in your other thread. Thanks!

2nd gen 4wd not working

Thanks to GIjoecam for your article.

I have a 95 4wd v6 automatic with the switch 2wd, 4auto, 4low.
I followed your directions for safety stands - have all 4 wheels off the floor.

With the engine running and in neutral, the switch light comes on for 4auto and 4low, but the front axles are not locked. I can turn either one of the front wheels with no affect on the other wheel.

What's the next step? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks to GIjoecam for your article....

What's the next step? Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy to help, but you've gotta finish reading those paragraphs:

.... to engage the passenger side axle shaft. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there.

the transfer case itself, or an electrical gremlin with the control system. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there.

problem with the front axle. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there.
the case itself. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there.

the front differential or axle. Start a new thread with the results of your checks, and we'll go from there.

IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC VEHICLE'S PROBLEM, PLEASE START A NEW THREAD DESCRIBING YOUR TROUBLE. Please limit the discussion here to details specific to this troubleshooting procedure.

I'd suggest you start a new thread in the Transmissions and Transfer Cases forum. It'll get a better response in its own thread and keep this one from becoming specific to one particular vehicle.

FYI....the 01-05 sport tracs didnt only come with the 44-05. I have an 01 with the 13-54. I havent crawled under enough to know if both were offered or what, but I do have a 13-54 under mine from the factory. Might wanna update the thread.

Is this the most detialed sticky on the inner working of a 2nd gen 4WD system. Having some issues and can't seem to get the detail as to physically how the system is actuated in detail down to what signals are sent to what, etc......WAY TOO many threads on 4WD problems! I'm guessing the explorer was the most popular SUV when NOT in 4WD. middle of winter and frustrated out in the snow checking all connections for voltage and/or vacuum with no real clear cut theory on actuation to be able to hands-on troubleshoot....Can someone either point me, or just simply shoot me?

I learned a little on the stickies on this section of the forum that has helped out a bit, but still could use a could more resources outside the site if anyone has anything off the top of their head. Thx guys.

4wheel drive not engaging

Hi all we found out what the problem was in our 96 ford explorer sport track 4 wheel drive not engaging.

We replaced the 2 vacum cylinoids cost about $100.00 fixed the problem now we can off road!

Debbie

Thanks for the few replies.

MY problem was my vacuum line off the intake manifold was disconnected at a quick coupling that leads to the vacuum solenoids that control which side of the CAD gets vacuum.

At least I learned a little about the system so when (not if) I have a real problem i might be more informed!

Thax

2001 mountaineer with bw 4405

on jack stands the front wheels turn opposite but u can still turn the front drive shaft with the switch in 4 hi in park with engine running i had the trans case out & took it to the shop they found nothing wrong inside &said it must be something electrical i also replaced the motor before i found out it has nothing to do with the problem & the lites r working correctly on the dash

Then its possible your GEM is not sending an electrical signal to the transfer case clutch or else there's a problem in the wiring from the gem to the t-case. One way to check would be to have a test light and with the radio bezel out and 4wd switch connected turn the switch to 4wd find the brown wire coming out of the gem put the point of the test light on the metal where it enters the GEM and the alligator clip (if you have this type of test light available) to a metal piece that connects to the body to ensure good ground and see if the light illuminates.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The GEM is behind your radio its the controller of electronics in your truck. Look up brown-wire-mod and you'll see a picture of it.

Back