302 Build Up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 Build Up

I have about 130,000 miles on my 5.0 and I am trying to think ahead when it is going to give up on me. I want to build it up to make more horsepower but not extremely so that I get under 10 mpg. I thought about just getting a slightly built mustang crate motor with about 325 hp at the crank or getting a 347 stroker motor. I also considered getting a 351 windsor crate motor. I do not want to rebuild the motor, I just want to start fresh as I plan on keeping my truck for a long time (6 more years of college). I can do most of the installation myself but want to try to keep it under 5 grand. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful. I should have at least another 20-30 thousand miles left on the engine but I want to go ahead and start saving the cash.Thanks.

Well - I bought a crate '93 Cobra longblock and it is sitting in the garage. When this one finally goes, I'll replace it with the Cobra longblock. Then I can still use alot of the parts off my original engine, as long as they are in good condition still. The Eaton, lower intake, new injectors, etc.

Might think about that or one of the other crate 302's. Unless you really want to crank up the hp like over 400, I would stick with the 302 because then you won't have to worry about too many other mods to fit the engine.

JMO of course...

Thanks, I think I am going to get a crate motor from ford. That seems to be the easiest and cheapest swap. I think it was somewhere around $3200 and it puts out over 300 horses which is way more than my current motor does.

Back