1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

4.0L SOHC Resonator Delete

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Hayden Russell, August 22, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Hayden Russell

Hayden Russell New Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hey! I've been wondering if deleting the resonator on the V6 will make a big difference in sound, of course it won't have the big, mean sound of a V8, but I'd like my truck to be a bit louder than it is currently. What all would removing the resonator entail? I'd like to keep everything in front of the resonator as it is, and keep my stock muffler. Down the road I'd love to purchase a real aftermarket exhaust, but for the time being I'd like to remove the resonator, as I am a student and can barely afford all that I've done to the truck lately :/.
    Thanks for any help!
    -Hayden

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Florence, KY
    '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
    I don't think it makes much difference, IIRC the Sports don't have one to allow for a shorter exhaust.

4. Bogo_30

Bogo_30 New Member

City, State:
    Lake Villa, Illinois
    1997 Explorer XLT
    It shouldn't make a huge difference, just a little louder when you get on it.