4" Skyjacker Lift Springs (Possible Writeup) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4" Skyjacker Lift Springs (Possible Writeup)

TimIngram

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
I know, this question has been asked and answered but searching for such things results in bismal return, it would be amazing to just find out from someone with experience.
What I want to do is lift the front about 4" I'm not looking at spending $600.00 for a lift and I was just browsing skyjacker and found these Skyjacker Suspensions 134 - Skyjacker Softride Lift Coil Springs I know I can get some shackles or even make them Homemade Shackles so my question is what all am I looking at for a 4" lift? I know alignment and I want new shocks anyways so im looking for some sort of information regarding all of the parts I need. I'm also willing to do a complete writeup of my vehicle during the lift process so it will be easy to do for anyone else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You didn't search well enough then. There are multiple forums that list exactly what you need.

When you lift a truck essentially you are increasing the distance between the axle and the frame (by increasing spring height, in the front).

When you do this all the components that connect the axle to the frame have to be lengthened as well. The front axle connects to the frame via pivot brackets. If you visualize this and think about just increasing the spring height you realize that it won't work without longer axle pivot brackets.

You aren't going to be able to get away for my less than $600, no matter what you do. Unless you are able to score a remarkable deal on some used stuff, that is.
Look around. Do more searching. There are lots of threads that detail exactly what you need.

Edit:
Ok, I will be semi-helpful.
Parts needed for the front:

- Lift springs
- Driver axle pivot bracket
- Passenger axle pivot bracket
- Driver radius arm drop bracket
- Passenger radius arm drop bracket
- Drop steering pitman arm

What if I stuck with the 1.5" lift? Skyjacker Suspensions 132X - Skyjacker Softride Lift Coil Springs I understand that I'll be "increasing the distance between the axle and the frame" so if it only changes 1.5 inches what would I need to complete the lift? I'm only looking to improve the stance of my vehicle not really a performance thing.

What if I stuck with the 1.5" lift? Skyjacker Suspensions 132X - Skyjacker Softride Lift Coil Springs I understand that I'll be "increasing the distance between the axle and the frame" so if it only changes 1.5 inches what would I need to complete the lift? I'm only looking to improve the stance of my vehicle not really a performance thing.

That is absolutely the way to go. If it was me and you felt like replacing worn factory springs anyway then get some 2" lift springs from Summit Racing (about $130) and either buy or make some shackles for the back. Absolutely the cheapest route. And the easiest. You can easily do that in a couple hours on a weekend. If you're feeling really ambitious and truly want to get the back up where it should be though you should get an add-a-leaf to go with the shackles. That will bring your ride to just a little higher in the back than the front (that's really a personal preference thing I guess).

Still, you get get away very reasonably doing it that way and just add that little bit of look to your truck that sets it apart from 100% stock.

Sorry, forgot to add, you would not need drop brackets then. The distance isn't increased great enough to merit them. It's the best way for an uncomplicated lift.

That is absolutely the way to go. If it was me and you felt like replacing worn factory springs anyway then get some 2" lift springs from Summit Racing (about $130) and either buy or make some shackles for the back. Absolutely the cheapest route. And the easiest. You can easily do that in a couple hours on a weekend. If you're feeling really ambitious and truly want to get the back up where it should be though you should get an add-a-leaf to go with the shackles. That will bring your ride to just a little higher in the back than the front (that's really a personal preference thing I guess).

Still, you get get away very reasonably doing it that way and just add that little bit of look to your truck that sets it apart from 100% stock.

Sorry, forgot to add, you would not need drop brackets then. The distance isn't increased great enough to merit them. It's the best way for an uncomplicated lift.

So I could probably run a 31" tire with minimal rubbing maybe a little trimming is in order? and the closest to a 2" lift coil compatible with the first gen I could find was Skyjacker Suspensions 132X - Skyjacker Softride Lift Coil Springs
which provide about 1.5" according to summit racing.

I run 31x10.5 and they rubbed some at full lock. If you stick w/10.5 wide you shouldn't have to do any trimming at all with the 1.5" lift coils.

If only 1.5" is available for the front then you should be able to get away with just the shackles in the rear then.

Why not just do a 3" body lift.may be cheaper in the long run

Why not just do a 3" body lift.may be cheaper in the long run

Probably would be but then you have the negatives of a body lift (goofy bumper gap, frame showing, etc).

Plus, just new coil springs and shackles is a pretty straightforward install. Not that a body lift isn't but doing it suspension style the only thing you will fight are rusty shackle bolts. Realistically though, the shackles probably need changed anyway, if they're original, and the same goes for the coil springs. So really it's maintenance, just with an improvement spin. ;)

If you use the bumper brackets you wont get a gap and on a stock truck you wont really see anything else.if it came down to 1.5" and cutting my fenders,i would go bl any day!

If you use the bumper brackets you wont get a gap and on a stock truck you wont really see anything else.if it came down to 1.5" and cutting my fenders,i would go bl any day!

Well I wouldn't want to cut my fenders either, don't get me wrong, but do you really think 1.5" wouldn't clear 31s?
I just guesstimated how much addt'l clearance I would've needed but it didn't seem like it would have been much to allow 31s to clear without rubbing.

31by what? And what rims?or offset?

I mentioned earlier that I run 31x10.5. I think 12.5 might rub. If he's got factory rims it's a 0 offset.

Not sure the backspacing but I'm thinking it's like 4.5 which keeps it pretty tucked in. If you wanted to get them out a little he could pick up like 4 or 3.75 backspacing and absolutely clear 31x10.5, I would think.

Back