4x4HI Flashing and OD Light Flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4x4HI Flashing and OD Light Flashing

Shaun387

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Ok, I've read through many threads on my problems. It seems like it might be a separate issue.

First, the OD light flashing. I read and came to the conclusion it was the solenoid pack. I replaced that. It shifts much smoother, but the OD light is still flashing! I cleared all the codes, but some still come back. Any ideas?

Second, the 4x4HI light will flash about 8 times every few minutes. I read and many people were saying the replaced the 4X4 control module and it fixed theirs. Mine is doing something a little different I believe. First, we raised the vehicle off the ground and verified the front wheels do not turn. However, when you put it in 4X4LO, it does drop down into a lower gear, but the front wheels still do not turn.

Any ideas on either issue I'm having? I do have a weak battery that sometimes needs to be charged or jumped. I have a pretty good Snap-On code reader, but I'm still worried some codes are causing others.

Also, if I take the control motor off the transfer case and manually move the shaft to L N or H, should the front wheels start turning then, or does something else actually engage the front wheels? We did verify the control motor does function, and does move the shaft by pressing the buttons on the dash.

I'm lost.... any help is appreciated.

I might have found an answer to my 4x4 question. I had a little more time to dig around in the forums. The control motor only appears to switch between HI and LOW and does nothing to engage the front wheels. There is an electromagnetic clutch that does that. With my 4X4HI light flashing, I'm starting to lean back towards the 4X4CM is bad. Any thoughts?

I'm still stumped on the OD light flashing after I replaced the solenoid pack...

Back