5.0 in a '93 EB? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jrod46083

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville,Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
93,Eddie Bauer
I have a 5.0 out of a '95 F-150 (including all wiring harness,control module,etc...) thinking about throwing that in my '93 Xploder with a 4.0..along with tranny and T.C. out of the truck..figure I'll leave twin traction beams and rearend gears until I destroy them..then have a high pinion dana 44 to go up front,and rebuild/re-gear the rearend and make some new drive shafts (again)...
..anybody done this?
..know of any kits to make life easy for the engine swap?
..or should I just plan on fabbing most the stuff?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!!...as far as using the stock T.C....the transmision backing the 5.0 is 3" longer than the Xploder's..besides,no more sissy push button crap if I dig in this deep,right?

Yea true but you can always swap in a manual t-case from another explorer or ranger. They're pretty strong chain-driven units and as long as you keep fluid in them they just about last forever.
Also the full-size t-case might require some frame modification in order to fit within the frame rails as well as shortening the rear driveshaft and lengthening the front.

I'll do some more research into this...I'm sure this is just the tip of the ice burg..I have lots more issues ahead of me,cooling,gearing,steering,susp.,exhaust,etc...But after running out to the garage for a quick glance,I'm thinking you might be right on about frame clearance issues...it's getting hard for me to find parts for this thing around here..all my friends are Jeepers!
Ask any of them for anything,and all I get is "Why don't you just buy a jeep?" haha
they're killin me..

Back