5.0L engine mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L engine mods

bart_mcilroy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
oo mountaineer awd v8
hey, ive got the 00 explorer with the 5.0L and its a a standard 302 so i was wondering if i can just use bolt on's and performance parts from like mustangs and on internet sites right? because i want to do some stuff like chrome valve covers and a new carb and stuff and i think i should just be able to do that. i was wondering if you have any simple, cheap mods that i can do too? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First off you do not have a carburetor, you have fuel injection.

Secomd is the only Mustang stuff that will work is the intake manifold but Exploreres already have the GT40 intake.

The block is the only thing that is the same. Heads are different. Pulleys and water pump are different. Mustangs used a distributor. Explorer/Mountainner has DIS.

The only "cheap" upgrade is a cold air intake. Your best upgrade is a set of Torque Monster headers they will run you $735 shipped to your door. Next is a tuner. They run $300 puls the cost of programmimg.

They are MUFFLER bearings. If you just ask for Exhaust Bearings, you won't get the right parts....ask me how I know!!

Don't forget cross drilled brake lines...

Some handy tools to have around when working on the Explorer....Left hand Metric Screwdriver Set, and of course a Wiper Blade Sharpener....them things are expensive to keep replacing!

Ryan

will nitrous kits for a mustang with the 302 ho on a 2nd gen explorer with the 302?

They are MUFFLER bearings. If you just ask for Exhaust Bearings, you won't get the right parts....ask me how I know!!

Some handy tools to have around when working on the Explorer....Left hand Metric Screwdriver Set, and of course a Wiper Blade Sharpener....them things are expensive to keep replacing!

Ryan

Oh, OK, here we go, Im currently in the market for some new level water if you have any. And I dont want the green stuff......

I can not believe this thread has been hijacked to this point, but it has great potential. For example "Did you bring your lunch today or did you walk to work?"

Sorry bart_mcilroy, everyone here is happy to help whenever and however we can, I have no idea how this started.

Peace Out;
Bob Wiersema

Ryan

Also helps to have a 9/11th wrench in your toolbox

Skyhooks... never forget the skyhooks. They're probably the most commonly overlooked tool, but once you own a set, they'll receive the most use. I can't even begin to tell you how long it took me to convince my friend to cough up the $40 to get a set. I finally just let him borrow mine for a while when he had some projects going on and it took all I had to get them back.

Skyhooks... never forget the skyhooks. They're probably the most commonly overlooked tool, but once you own a set, they'll receive the most use. I can't even begin to tell you how long it took me to convince my friend to cough up the $40 to get a set. I finally just let him borrow mine for a while when he had some projects going on and it took all I had to get them back.

I almost forgot about that one. :)

This requires a new thread, we shouldn't just jack this one. I can go way back, "go out to my truck and get my hammerfor" :) Skyhook is great, "I know I have one in my truck, just go get it!" :cool:

no

Better than a 9/11th is the 11/9th wrench that one comes in handy when no other tool does...

the passenger side accessory bracket in my 98 5.0 is the same bracket on the SN95's (94 and 95) The water pump mate surface is the same but the shaft and pulley is different. the fuel system is roughly the same.

Back