5R55W transmission rebuild issue. I can't shift out of park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55W transmission rebuild issue. I can't shift out of park.

jessew625

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Ford Explorer V-6 2WD
I just finished rebuilding my 5r55w tranny out of my 2002 explorer. Everything went together so beautifully that i couldnt believe it. After I got everything assembled, I cannot move the manual shift lever into reverse or park. Anyone have any ideas before I tear back into It? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was renamed to add more details. Apply the parking brake, disconnect the manual linkage, and then move the arm on the transmission manually. You will have to remove the lower pan if it doesn't move. Did you check to see if the electric release under the steering column is moving when you step on the brake pedal? There is a TSB for this. It's possible that something got unplugged or a fuse blew.

Thanks for the quik reply. it is the manual arm that won't move from neutral to reverse. Right now it shifts a little tight from neutral to 1st but does shift. Wondering if it has to do with the park rod inside?

You should remove the pan to inspect the parking pawl & shift linkage assemblies. Take a look at the diagram below:
5R55N-Case-&-Pan.jpg

thats exactly what i thought. it seems to be binding up in there somwhere. just a pain in the butt to pump 12 qts. of oil by hand lol. I greatly appreciate the help.

Did you ever find out what it was? I'm planning on rebuilding a 5r55w soon.

Back