2002 Explorer, Blinking OD light and no shift from 2nd to third | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer, Blinking OD light and no shift from 2nd to third

todder34

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Explorer XLS, 4.0L with a 5R55E transmission. I have roughly 180K miles on the explorer. The transmission was rebuilt at 67K miles (yeah just out of warranty) and now its at it again. I have had it in the shop for the last three days and they are not quite sure what is happening.

When I drove it after my son said it was shifting funny, the transmission would not engage third from second gear unless you let off the accelerator. My wife drove it the next day and the transmission would not shift out of 2nd gear at all no matter what you did. The OD light was also flashing. Not sure what the codes were since she took it straight to the mechanic. Any ideas would be helpful.

My other question:
Can you swap out a 5R55W with a 5R55E and make it work? I have a friend with a 1997 Explorer with the "E" tranny in it. He is parting it out and offered it to me for a good price. Any input on this idea will be helpful also.

Thanks,

Todd

Back