$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$700 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer/Project Frankentranny II

Plagorizer, I know...:D
I recently acquired this ugly 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 with 197k, for $700. It has some things that it needs, but then again, what would you expect from a $700 Explorer?
-Needs a Transmission, or reverse ring (reverse is out)-FIXED
-Roof liner is toast-FIXED
-Rear drivers side quarter panel is crumpled from guard rail hit
-Both bumpers are junk-FIXED
-roof has 2 dents-FIXED
-roof rack is all bent-FIXED
-Front drivers side fender is pushed out (common problem from the "Wal-Mart Kid" jacking vehicle up in wrong place).-FIXED
-Grille is crap-FIXED

I could keep going for another 30 things.

If you saw my thread, I had a chronicles going on putting a 5R55E transmission into the place of my old 4R55E transmission. I had to find out the hard way, got the 5R55E from the JY then found out it wont fit. Look's to be in good shape so I'm gonna sell it anyway. Still looking for a 4R55E transmission for under 400 bucks.

I will post up the entire list of crap it needs, (small things like a lug nut, headlight ect) I am type A and cannot stand broken things, misfit things, ugly things...I know, then you say "then you shouldn't of gotten an Explorer". :D I think it's a piece of art, rust or not. (guess what mine has the case of...yep, you got it.)

This thread, I will keep all of you people informed and updated on my Explorer project, which I like to call, "project Frankentranny II" :) I will also post up small fixes, and corrections that I found out myself personally that maybe some people don't know anything about.

Be aware, skeletal and freaky ugly pictures are about to stare you in the corneas, but don't be frightened, so much progress can only reveal how nice this Explorer can shine. It seems like junk yard find, but indeed, it is a diamond in the rough.

These are some pictures of when I first purchased it. Cost me $700 delivered to the door. Enjoy, and subscribe to this thread if you want to see this ugly Aunt Agatha turn into a beautiful piece of art and machinery, that will sell for less than KBB! Read ahead.

_DSC0259_zps51920509.jpg

Mine_zpse1832345.jpg

_DSC0260_zps34ac136e.jpg

_DSC0261_zpsaadbd8a5.jpg

_DSC0262_zps147066d8.jpg

_DSC0263_zpsc8a7d165.jpg

_DSC0264_zps27c4414a.jpg

_DSC0265_zps8c1c48e0.jpg

_DSC0266_zps9094042b.jpg

_DSC0267_zpsc061cf09.jpg

_DSC0268_zps6306886b.jpg

_DSC0269_zpsd4f70cd2.jpg

_DSC0270_zps08152a05.jpg

_DSC0271_zps24eb7d7b.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you turning the motor over using the nut on the end of the harmonic balancer? If you are and its still real tough, pull all the spark plugs so your not fightin the compression of the motor.
And you can pull the trans without undoing those bolts, but more than likely youll damage something, as the converter will stay attached to the plate instead of comin off with the trans. So my suggestion would be to take the extra time to undo em

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are you turning the motor over using the nut on the end of the harmonic balancer? If you are and its still real tough, pull all the spark plugs so your not fightin the compression of the motor.
And you can pull the trans without undoing those bolts, but more than likely youll damage something, as the converter will stay attached to the plate instead of comin off with the trans. So my suggestion would be to take the extra time to undo em
Thanks for the suggestion XLT99, that is exactly what we did. Removed 1 spark plug so there was no compression, and sure enough, the crankshaft could move. No really easily, but it moved better. All we have left to remove to pull the trans out is 3 tranny to engine bolts and then slide the trans backwards to unclip the pins. Already have a 4r on the way.

Another q: I heard somewhere that the 4R70W tranny was compatible instead of a 4R55E...?

Will TAKE THE DANG PICTURES SOON!!! lol...haven't got to the camera yet...

4R70W is completely different and will only bolt to the 5.0 V8 in the Explorer.

4R70W is completely different and will only bolt to the 5.0 V8 in the Explorer.
Thanks for the clarification IAmTodd.

I'm new here and following this thread as my 96 is slipping and revving up when shifting between 2nd and 3rd. I'll be pulling it soon so I'm interested in the progress here. Cheers.

I'm new here and following this thread as my 96 is slipping and revving up when shifting between 2nd and 3rd. I'll be pulling it soon so I'm interested in the progress here. Cheers.
It really makes a difference if your Explorer is a 4X4, or 2X4. I could take pics to help you a little better...where are you getting your 4R55E transmission? Or are you gonna do a rebuild on it?

It's a 4x4 InstaTrac. I haven't decided if I'm going to rebuild it or swap it. Been looking for a used one for a few months with no success, so I might just rebuild. The bigger issue is tackling the removal and replacement.

It's a 4x4 InstaTrac. I haven't decided if I'm going to rebuild it or swap it. Been looking for a used one for a few months with no success, so I might just rebuild. The bigger issue is tackling the removal and replacement.
You're telling me...(taking out the tranny and putting it back in that is). I just found out that I do have InstaTrac 4X4 as well...doesn't make any difference though. I was also going to rebuild my bad 4R55E, but I'm getting a $75 core charge from the place I got the other tranny from so I might as well get 75 bucks for a useless tranny. :)

Sorry guys, camera is not working...as soon as the camera charges I'll snap a pic or 2. On another note...drained the 5R55E transmission. Little bit of metal gunk on the magnet. The transmission pan bolts were not tight. In fact, they were a little loose. Pan gasket look's brand new and still bends like rubber should. (Usually if it's old it will crack when removed and crumble in pieces) Tranny fluid that came out smells clean...not burnt, and is pink. I think I just might keep this to sell...:)

So I know it's been a little bit, so I'll update you guys on whats happening. Lame, I know, but the transmission is still unbolted, :D but inside the car. Waiting to take it out. I have been researching on 4R55E transmission rebuilding, If I wanted to DIY or have another shop do it. I have a friend that I was talking to. Told him that I got a 4R tranny for $600. He said "Oh really? I have a friend that can rebuild your tranny for around 300 bucks" and I was like :eek: Called his friend and sure enough, "Will cost around $350-$400 for a FULL rebuild of your transmission, but it will be about 2 weeks." Then I was like :eek: but for the price, it seems too :cool: to be true! I'm gonna cancel the order on the 600 dollar 4R and get mine to him. Heck to a couple weeks, I can work on it while he rebuilds. For $400, heck yea man.

A small q: How hard is it to disengage the tranny from the engine without the torque converter crushing you? There is also an exhaust pipe that is directly underneath the tranny but not in the way. Even if I wanted to remove it, I cannot because of RUST.

Much obliged New York.

:salute:

So I know it's been a little bit, so I'll update you guys on whats happening. Lame, I know, but the transmission is still unbolted, :D but inside the car. Waiting to take it out. I have been researching on 4R55E transmission rebuilding, If I wanted to DIY or have another shop do it. I have a friend that I was talking to. Told him that I got a 4R tranny for $600. He said "Oh really? I have a friend that can rebuild your tranny for around 300 bucks" and I was like :eek: Called his friend and sure enough, "Will cost around $350-$400 for a FULL rebuild of your transmission, but it will be about 2 weeks." Then I was like :eek: but for the price, it seems too :cool: to be true! I'm gonna cancel the order on the 600 dollar 4R and get mine to him. Heck to a couple weeks, I can work on it while he rebuilds. For $400, heck yea man.

A small q: How hard is it to disengage the tranny from the engine without the torque converter crushing you? There is also an exhaust pipe that is directly underneath the tranny but not in the way. Even if I wanted to remove it, I cannot because of RUST.

Much obliged New York.

:salute:

Well For starters on your trans removal question . The Torque converter should be seated into the trans so the only way it will fall out is if it tilts forward very hard , A trick is to use some Styrofoam and cut it into wedge shapes and push it in between the bell housing and the TC , It will help if the trans does tilt forward in falling out as fast . Or . You could find a wrench to fit from the Center of TC to a Bell housing bolt location and bolt it into place to keep the TC from falling out at all .

some people say they can fit the trans over the Y pipe Crossover section . But I always removed mine to make it easier on everything . If Its rusty its a good idea to go ahead and remove and replace the rusty bolts/nuts for future fixes .

Well For starters on your trans removal question . The Torque converter should be seated into the trans so the only way it will fall out is if it tilts forward very hard , A trick is to use some Styrofoam and cut it into wedge shapes and push it in between the bell housing and the TC , It will help if the trans does tilt forward in falling out as fast . Or . You could find a wrench to fit from the Center of TC to a Bell housing bolt location and bolt it into place to keep the TC from falling out at all .

some people say they can fit the trans over the Y pipe Crossover section . But I always removed mine to make it easier on everything . If Its rusty its a good idea to go ahead and remove and replace the rusty bolts/nuts for future fixes .
I am just making this work good enough to sell sooo...:) The exhaust is mostly intact so I'm not going to mess with it. It would have to be cut with a sawsall probably, then welded back on (which I have no desire to do). This vehicle is far from perfect. If it's in tact, I'm not gonna mess and malign with it. Thanks for the pro tip...I might try using styrofoam wedges...

Using us to make money and you're not Elite..hmmmm :thumbdwn:
:scratch: Any forum is to help. It is made for advice. This is the only forum out of the ten I am part of that cost's money to access more features ect. Nothing bad about that. I'm not at all using you guy's to make money, this is just my build thread and I need a little guidance in making these changes on the Explorer. I am a top contributor on many other forums and I am just fine with helping them with no pay. Only time I start getting a little grumpy is when they expect the forum to be better than the best. They start whining and quote remarks like "thanks for nothing guys" or "what a dumb forum" if we don't respond in there expected time frame. I am here because I simply needed help and guidance to fix this Explorer up. I am 16 years old, and I have never replaced a transmission before, so I thought this would be very helpful. I made my account when I first got my 1992 Explorer though. Anytime I get a new car to fix up, I join that forum and learn so I can help others. This forum has been very helpful to me, and I have learned a lot from many many threads on here. (Especially the thread by church, disassembling the 4R55E ect) Not ONLY has this forum been helpful to me, but I haven't been eating up all of the info and keeping it to myself. I'm sharing what I know to others that are like me, who need help. I am a 2k poster on the Lexus forum and now that I know about all there is to know about the SC400's, I share that information to everybody else. That's what a forum is created for. Not making money off of you at all. Just wanted a little guidance. And I also wanted to share my project with you guys as it is very informational and enjoyable. I know, for me at least, it is very entertaining and satisfying to see a before/after Explorer or any vehicle for that matter.

IMO, forums should be free for the most part, like the radio is. I am not at all against the Elite Explorer community. I actually was thinking of paying the $20.00 per year, but, since I'll be selling this Explorer so soon, I would be paying for time unused on here.

I really do appreciate the help that is received. I mean it. This is an awesome community.

ANYWAYS, back on another note, Turns out that it looks as if I will be waiting the extra time for the cheap rebuild of the 4R tranny.
Also, in the mere future I will need some help and guidance about some body damage to the rear quarters and cosmetic stuff.

Thanks for all of the help it helps a ton.

Tranny out: Ready for a rebuild:
112_9933_zps39377137.jpg
112_9934_zps8a9d52db.jpg
112_9937_zps37c7b17f.jpg
112_9938_zpsea7a2a9e.jpg

NO TRANNY! :D

Look's like I'll have to remove at least one side of the exhaust pipe. It's in the way. The bolts up top aren't very rusty so I'll remove those.

NEXT: All 4 corners KYB Gas-A-Just shocks! Then go back to pick a part and grab those 2 fifth shocks and another headliner. (I butchered this other one...:( )

Got shocks out. In the process, broke 2 of the shocks. Just broke in half. I was yanking on it for an hour and it was rust so they broke. Gonna buy some new 5th shocks.

The shocks were junk, and OEM from new.

I fixed the "hanging outward" front drivers side fender, which is one of the very popular problems that happens with the Ford Explorer when a Wal Mart kid jacks it up in the wrong area. I could show you how I fixed it...not perfect, but much better.

all I used was A crowbar, needle nose pliers, locking pliers, and an 8mm socket and 1/2 inch drive with adapter socket wrench.

Will post up some before and after pictures of it, (since this IS a before and after sub-forum).

Can you post this stuff ? :p
I'm trying to fix mine.

Can you post this stuff ? :p
I'm trying to fix mine.
Sure. Very easy actually. Here is a thread where vroom shows how to un-bend it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372299

ef3.jpg

NOT MY IMAGE!!

Anyways, those two fasteners will need to be removed. Just those two. Then, get some gloves on, and grab a wrench. A heavy duty wrench. (That is how I did mine. Used pliers and bent the panel back.) See that panel that the screws hold the fender to? That panel will be the bent area. You remove those screws to bent the mounting bracket/metal beam back into place.

Read the thread to understand...kinda hard to explain. Vroom shows you how.

I would take pictures but beneath my Exploder is unrecognizable due to rust and the like...:(

Sure. Very easy actually. Here is a thread where vroom shows how to un-bend it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372299

ef3.jpg

NOT MY IMAGE!!

Anyways, those two fasteners will need to be removed. Just those two. Then, get some gloves on, and grab a wrench. A heavy duty wrench. (That is how I did mine. Used pliers and bent the panel back.) See that panel that the screws hold the fender to? That panel will be the bent area. You remove those screws to bent the mounting bracket/metal beam back into place.

Read the thread to understand...kinda hard to explain. Vroom shows you how.

I would take pictures but beneath my Exploder is unrecognizable due to rust and the like...:(

Yeah, upon attempting this, I couldn't unscrew that little screw that holds the plastic trim piece that's there to the fender..

I'll try next weekend when I clean the truck.

Back