'97 4.0 SOHC Sport:: Caster Adjustment? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 4.0 SOHC Sport:: Caster Adjustment?

xoticmike

Reaction score
Alignment:: Caster Adjustment....

I am curious as to why Ford did not install a part that made this possible....

Anywho, I just wanted to make sure before I drop my truck off to have some work done...

ALL I need to enable this simple alignment to happen is to purchase the "CAM Bolt set" and have my mechanic install them??

The only other thing I have found relevant to this agenda would be to replace the UPPPER Control Arms for either side as well as the bolts....

Thanks!!

-xM

stock adjusters

The stock adjusters do allow for alignment of camber and caster. Its only when the ride height is changed (lift or drop) that the range of the stock adjusters is insufficient. See my thread Replacing Camber/Caster Bolts for a photo comparing the stock to aftermarket units.

Ohhh.. ok..

Well I have 20" Rims with almost 2 inch spacers (bolt ons) to bring out the tires... so they were having a hard time adjusting the caster for the big arse wheels...

The driver's side doesn't really need one as the spec is broad enough that the adjustment can easily be made by the upper control arm. The passenger side is (or was) simply adjusted to match the driver's side so it doesn't pull to one side. Faster, simpler, and easier way to do it on the assembly line. (That's always been my theory anyways)

Back