• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer 5.0 tweaks EEC-v info

toy ford

Reaction score
City, State
bozeman, mt
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 explorer
I'm new to the Explorer 4x4 scene. Actually I don't even own an Explorer. However, I have a Toyota pickup with a 3.slow V6 in serious need of some Blue Oval power. I'm going to swap in a 5.0 from a 97 Explorer. I work at an automotive machine shop, so have access to all sorts of fun tools for a complete custom blueprinted rebuild. However, I need some info:

EEC-V: Wow. The possibilities are endless. I am going to need some serious access to the ECM, preferrably with the ability for custom tuning in real time. Is this possible? If not, what is a powerful datalogger/ custom programmable flash tuner combo?

Cam grind: I'm not interested in horsepower. But I do want fuel efficiency and low and mid-range torque. I think I'll boost the compression during the rebuild. Can someone suggest a good cam?

Valvetrain: Are there spring loaded lifters available for the 97 5.0? I'd like to be able to perform cam swaps without removing the intake manifold. There are three manufacturers that I'm aware of making these for SB chevys. Any for ford?

Mods to intake system?

Wiring harness: this is going to be a nightmare. Most of the harness is intact, with wires cut on the way to the PCM. Where can I get a new harness or better (?), complete wiring diagrams to see what I'm missing and see how to wire in the connnector for the PCM?

Thanks much. It looks like there's a lot of knowledge floating around on this forum. Hopefully you all will share.

~Marcel

Back