ABS Light came on after car jerks and negative battery connecter comes loose. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light came on after car jerks and negative battery connecter comes loose.

BRJ2012

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
So here's the story,

I was driving home in my 97 Ford Explorer 5.0 and I got on the Interstate and began to accelerate. I just reach the speed I wanted and my car jerked and my ABS (Light Orange) light came on. I pulled over to the shoulder just fine, the car was handling normal. I shut it off and just sit for a second to get my bearings straight. Then I noticed the car had no power at all and a bad smell that I can't really remember. I checked the battery and the Negative connecter was loose, I tightened it and the power was restored. I turned the car back on and the ABS light was off. I drove it home, no problems, had it up to 70 mph.

Now, I'm assuming it was because of the loose connection to the battery terminal, but what could of been the jerk that i experienced? and why did the ABS light come on, then shut off?

The only thing I can think of is the negative connector, got disconnected, and when i get a bump it connected to the battery for a split second, glitching out the ABS.

Anyone got any ideas?

Back