Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I suggest scheduling an appointment with a local dealer for a diagnosis, NGTD. Then, send me a private message with your full name, VIN, dealership information, and best daytime contact number. I will get this escalated to a regional customer service manager for further assistance.

I'll be on the lookout for your message!

Brittany

Dealer took care of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the dealer say what the problem was?

Peter

I just purchased a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport and have ~600 miles on it when the Airbag alert light started to show up in the drivers information center. For those of you who have had this issue addressed, is there a service notice or alert that I should reference so they address this problem the first visit as the vehicle is used to drive my family and I fear that those seated in the front seat are at risk?

I'm not aware of any bulletins or TSBs on this issue. Some of the problems were traced back to the loose or bad connector under the driver's seat.

Peter

I just purchased a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport and have ~600 miles on it when the Airbag alert light started to show up in the drivers information center. For those of you who have had this issue addressed, is there a service notice or alert that I should reference so they address this problem the first visit as the vehicle is used to drive my family and I fear that those seated in the front seat are at risk?

I had the same issue/same vehicle, and as Peter said, it's the connector under the seat. I dont think there is enough slack in the cable so when the seat is fully aft it can losen the connection.

2013 explorer air bag light

My 2013 explore is 2 1/2 yrs old 47k miles (so out of 3yr 36k mile warranty). Air bag light is on took to dealer and spent $110 diagnostics for them to say don't know. Need me to authorize more diagnostics which will cost more $. Could be $700 more. Has anyone come across this? Why do I have to pay to have my airbag light fixed on a vehicle that is less that 3yrs old?

Welcome to the Forum Ford2013explorer.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this one. See post 86 above.
If that is your problem as well, those techs are going to feel a little foolish. The connector has been an issue on quite a few Explorers.

Peter

If the light is coming on there should be an error code. Is it on your paperwork?

My 2013 explore is 2 1/2 yrs old 47k miles (so out of 3yr 36k mile warranty). Air bag light is on took to dealer and spent $110 diagnostics for them to say don't know. Need me to authorize more diagnostics which will cost more $. Could be $700 more. Has anyone come across this? Why do I have to pay to have my airbag light fixed on a vehicle that is less that 3yrs old?

Hi Ford2013explorer,

Welcome! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this site. I want to research this and see how I can help. To make that happen, send a private message (PM) to me with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

My airbag light came on this morning and has stayed on through several outings (full engine start/stop cycles). I have a 2014 XLT with ~11,000 miles that I bought last December.

I'm going run a VHR today and setup an appointment with my local service department when they open tomorrow. This will be my first trip to the dealer to report an issue. I've built a short list of things that I planned to bring to my dealer under warranty, but this is the first safety related issue (kind of escalates the priority).

It's never convenient to go to the dealer. My wife and I both work full-time and we have an 18-month old and another on the way. Knowing that the airbag will not or may not deploy when the light is illuminated is a very serious problem.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed seeing this open and active thread reporting what looks like a common and unresolved problem with a critical vehicle safety system.

I'll respond back after my visit to the dealer.

Thanks to everyone who has reported this problem.

Welcome to the Forum shawns321.:wavey:
You could always try 'fiddling' with the connector under the driver's seat. If the light goes out you'll have saved yourself a trip to the dealer.

Peter

Air Bag Light / Warning

Welcome to the Forum shawns321.:wavey:
You could always try 'fiddling' with the connector under the driver's seat. If the light goes out you'll have saved yourself a trip to the dealer.

Peter

Thanks for the welcome, peterk9. I went out to run a VHR and the light cycled like it's supposed to at start up and didn't stay on (that's how it goes, right!).

If the light was still on I'd try to wiggle the connector in hopes that my airbags would start working! I'm still going to make an appointment with the dealer since faulty airbag connectors (if that's the issue) DO NOT instill confidence in the safety of the vehicle.

Even with the light off it would be nice if a tech would inspect for loose connections or crimped wires. This also gives me a chance to resolve the additional minor issues I'm experiencing.

Thanks!

And if anyone is interested the other issues include a crackly/squeaky center speaker (like it's loose or blown even though I've never cranked it up), my driver's side window jumps or "catches" when rolling down like it's too tight, my windshield washer works intermittently (washer fluid reservoir is full) and the car was delivered to me with missing rubber bumpers/stops for the center "media-center" compartment. The compartment where you push the MySync button to open the door -- w/o those bumpers I have to manually lift the door from the cable cutout -- minor but annoying.

All, I had reporting the same issue and have since taken my Explorer in for service. The Service department was able to issue and since picking the vehicle up we have not see the alerts as had been present before the service.

I now have the constant air bag light on too. Gonna check uder the seat tomorrow. I am a tall guy and often move the seat all the way back. If not I guess it's going to the dealership. I need a few other things fixed like the display screens turning off. I'm beginning to worry about the longevity of a vehicle with all these electronic gadgets.

I now have the constant air bag light on too. Gonna check uder the seat tomorrow. I am a tall guy and often move the seat all the way back. If not I guess it's going to the dealership...

What's the current mileage on your Explorer, MAbbottUSMC? If you decide to go to your dealership, let me know and I'll do what I can to help from my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Midway

Hello from Orlando, Florida area. Bought my wife a new 2011 Explorer and it has 67K miles now as we travel a lot. Recently we experienced a Air Bag light coming on and off then stayed on. Dealer kept it for one week and fixed it about 2 months ago and now it is coming on again sometimes. Anyone having this problem?
Midway

Welcome to the Forum Midway.:wavey:
I have moved your post to this thread. In some cases the problem is caused by the connection under the driver's seat.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the current mileage on your Explorer, MAbbottUSMC? If you decide to go to your dealership, let me know and I'll do what I can to help from my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I'm just ove 11k I believe. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Car has been having issues starting and wouldn't start this morning. They believe it might be a bad cell in the battery and the computer isn't getting a full 12 volts so the light is coming on. I'll find out for sure tomorrow. Going to Perry Ford in Poway.

Back