Another Autolamp Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Autolamp Issue

yevi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So I've been all over the internet looking for answers on this issue. My early '96 X just won't cooperate with the autolamps working. I've got power to the mirror (auto darkening one, with the on/off button for the autolamps) I've replaced the RAP with one out of a 98 to work with the keyfob that came from ebay. All that works... more or less. Mirror led comes on when parking/head lights are supposed to come on, and I have 30 ohms when the system is on from the purple/white wire. Mirror works fine other than this issue, lights just don't come on. Also (maybe this is related, maybe not) can not get theft system to arm (couldn't with the previous RAP either). Doors lock and unlock with the keyfob, and panic sets off horn, but no lights. I've got wiring schematics for the truck, and was looking for opinions before I went through it wire by wire. Nothing else controlled by the GEM is acting wonky, and when I know that all doors are latched properly when the system is supposed to arm (get a double chirp sometimes if my rear glass isn't nice and tight). Replaced relays for park/head lamps as well. Can't imagine the 2nd RAP would be bad, and at this point I'm not even sure the first one was. I did bypass the Lamp Out Module under the info center due to a break in the circuit board, but don't think that would be an issue. If anyone has any advice that would be great, because this is driving me insane!

i added the mirror to my 95. i don't recall the rap module being involved at all. i think there is a relay for the autolamp that is not associated with any relay for the light switch. since my 95 did not have the autolamp originally, i had to check if the relay was already on the vehicle.

Back