2000 Expl. XLT Autolamp keeps flashing on/off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Expl. XLT Autolamp keeps flashing on/off

thinkingthat

Reaction score
My 2000 Ford Explorer XLT has had this problem for like a year now, but I just can't take it anymore.

The autolamp slider on the rearview mirror is always in the off position, but it keeps randomly turning on and then back off. People driving in front of me get ticked cause they think I'm randomly flashing my lights at them and then turn on their hazards so I pass them.

Even more annoying is that everytime the autolamp turns on and off, a clicking sound is made somewhere in my dash. It drives me nuts! When the lamp turns on, I have to jam the auto-lamp all the way to the left to make it turn off.

Does any one know what I can do in this scenario? I've had it up to here with this thing!

My 2000 Ford Explorer XLT has had this problem for like a year now, but I just can't take it anymore.

The autolamp slider on the rearview mirror is always in the off position, but it keeps randomly turning on and then back off. People driving in front of me get ticked cause they think I'm randomly flashing my lights at them and then turn on their hazards so I pass them.

Even more annoying is that everytime the autolamp turns on and off, a clicking sound is made somewhere in my dash. It drives me nuts! When the lamp turns on, I have to jam the auto-lamp all the way to the left to make it turn off.

Does any one know what I can do in this scenario? I've had it up to here with this thing!

1. Try spraying some electrical contact cleaner in the slot, then working the slider back and forth a bunch of times.
2. If that doesn't work, unplug it. You will then have to manually turn your headlights on and off.
Good luck.

Back