1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Another failed transmission story... and question.

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by blackout881, March 29, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Active Member

City, State:
    Cary, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT, 4x4, 4.0 SOHC
    I replaced the transmission in mine last year too. now I am replacing all four wheel bearings. I hope this is all I need to do to it for awhile. I should trade it in on something sensible like a Fiesta.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. blackout881

blackout881 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    '04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
    I want to trade this in so bad. I absolutely love my explorer, im a huge fan but the problems are just ridiculous. This is my second explorer and ive totalled $9,800 in repairs over the course of 4 years on the two of my explorers (not to mention 1 wheel bearing and 2 axle seals done under warranty when i bought the second one). Neither of these trucks have reached 100k yet..or 95k..my first explorer i got rid of with 92k on the clock, just figured i got a lemon. The second now has 88k and has had all 4 axle seals changed, 3 wheel bearings, 1 ball joint, replaced the transmisson.. and thats in 10 months of ownership. Its too bad that i love explorers so much but ill never buy another ford product

4. blackout881

blackout881 Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    '04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
    I usually turned my O/D off when going up steep hills while towing, but most of my towing (a light 14' aluminum fishing boat) is on the flat highway where i dont really see a need to turn it off, its not looking for gears and i cant even tell im towing. but hey, maybe im wrong. should it always be off?