Another failed transmission story... and question. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another failed transmission story... and question.

I replaced the transmission in mine last year too. now I am replacing all four wheel bearings. I hope this is all I need to do to it for awhile. I should trade it in on something sensible like a Fiesta.

I want to trade this in so bad. I absolutely love my explorer, im a huge fan but the problems are just ridiculous. This is my second explorer and ive totalled $9,800 in repairs over the course of 4 years on the two of my explorers (not to mention 1 wheel bearing and 2 axle seals done under warranty when i bought the second one). Neither of these trucks have reached 100k yet..or 95k..my first explorer i got rid of with 92k on the clock, just figured i got a lemon. The second now has 88k and has had all 4 axle seals changed, 3 wheel bearings, 1 ball joint, replaced the transmisson.. and thats in 10 months of ownership. Its too bad that i love explorers so much but ill never buy another ford product

I usually turned my O/D off when going up steep hills while towing, but most of my towing (a light 14' aluminum fishing boat) is on the flat highway where i dont really see a need to turn it off, its not looking for gears and i cant even tell im towing. but hey, maybe im wrong. should it always be off?

Back