"Audiophile" Stereo? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Audiophile" Stereo?

Swapped my reardoor-speakers yesterday for Infinity´s, so now F + R are Infinty-equipped - sounds great !

What disapointed me : Ford used a 2-way system in the frontdoors, but only singlecone-wideband-speakers ( don´t know if I expressed that right ) in the rear doors. That´s called a "premium sound system" ? I don´t wanna know how the "normal" ones look like....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the problem that im having with my install of the hu is the wiring that i have is for the 06 but im not getting power from the ign side of the wiring. how are you getting the hu to work from what i can tell is it has somthing to do with the 2nd hook up i do not have the amp sys

Did you bought the right wiring harness adapter ? Look at the first site of the thread, there are two different available, one for HU with sub-amp and one for the HU w/o sub-amp. Maybe there´s a difference in the power wiring, too.

I used to have this kick ass sound system in my old coupe, but got rid of it along with the car, and I thought I would be content with the Audiophile system, but sadly I am not. Any suggestions? for those of you that have done speaker swaps, have you also added a amp? Or just done a speaker swap?

I only swapped the door spks., like I wrote. F+R w/ Infinity Kappa, and it sounds great. My Sony HU has 4 x 52 W output, it´s enough for a good and powerfull sound. Have the factory sub still running on the sub pre-out of the HU, no added amps.

thanks man just making sure, im thinking about gettin the infinitys as well, but i stil have my stock head unit.... no upgrade just yet.

Guess it´s not a matter of the HU in the first, most will depend on the speakers and the HU´s amp. Guess the Ford HU isn´t really bad, I swapped it because in Germany we have another frequency rasterize ( 100 khz-steps, US-units use 200 khz I guess ), so the US-radios can´t receive every station. That´s the reason why I didn´t order my Eddie w/ the Ford Nav Unit, would have been only a waste of money my case ;)

Just replaced my fronts with Infinity Reference 6812's, a step down from what CRIZZ has. Install was easy as CRIZZ has pointed out and detailed well.

The sound is so much better, can't wait to replace the rears.

Ah, did Ford forget a few things??? Yes

Where is the "sub woofer" for the 06 explorer. It is certainly a poor attempt at bass. Perhaps they should hire someone that knows audio. No speakers at ear level. I traded a Chrysler 300C with the upgraded audio and believe me, it had true bass, not a feeble attempt. Other than that, I'm getting the Ford nav and Sirius put in on 6th. Some basics should be included or offered from the factory such as the "mobile ease" for the phone system through the speakers. It's pretty common for people to use bluetooth phones now, and their aftermarket install has a goofy wire and box that sits next to the shifter. I like everything else about it but....oh yes, I see in 07 their fixing the wonderful door pull. Thanks for the after thought. :thumbdwn: :fire:

another quirk! Great place for the cigarette lighter, next to the cup holder. Plug in the cell phone recharger into the plug and try to put a large drink in the holder. You know, this stuff just isn't that tough to figure out when your designing this stuff. I hope the guy that worked on some of the interior stuff got canned. Looks nice, but not functional. Door pulls? Oh, no overhead sunglass holder. I really like the explorer, but my kid could have figured out some of this stuff and figured it out! Don't get me started on the $800 chromed plastic wheel covers. Ahhhhhh!

Plug the cell phone into the rear outlet and place the phone in the rear cup holder

The vehicle aint perferct, but find me another one for the price that is as comfortable, as capable, gets the same milage and is as quiet...

for those that have installed aftermarket HU, has anyone used the Metra harnes 5521? I just want to make sure that it will work for me so that i dont lose the factory amp and sub when i install a Kenwood 7017. e-mail me at claudeg8@yahoo.com! thank you all!

mids from sw

Ok so i did the install finally, and I have my old Kenwood Excelon while i wait on getting my DVD unit. I also upgraded the speakers to Alpine Type S's however the Sub seems to be letting out more than just bass. Is this normal after switching from the OEM HU to aftermarket? I also still get a random pop on some start ups even with the resistor recommended. Any suggestions? Anybody?

The sub putting out more than just bass is probably because the RCA outs are letting all of the sound through, I assume you need to set the cross over points on the HU. Can't help you with the popping

Thanks for the response, Has anyone installed component speakers? any ideas on where to mount the tweeters? Its a leased EX so i dont want to mes with it TOO MUCH.... Any ideas?

After seeing what Crizz, RPR and X Deacon did, I am thinking I can get the most bang for the buck by changing the door speakers on my 06 EB, but I have a few questions for you guys:

I would like to use the Infinity Kappa's but what I see in the stores are Infinity Reference. Is there a big dropoff in sound between the 2 models? Also, will there be any problems connecting these directly to my Audiophile HU? This Infinitys that Crizz is using are 5X7, what other sizes will fit. Finally, are there tweeters hidden in the vehicle anywhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
________
ZL900A

I don´t know any hidden tweeters, I only know the doorspeakers and the sub. Size of mounts are the same on all Explorer-Modells, so any speaker that fits to any other Explorer will fit the 2006.

w/o cutting larger systems won´t fit, and you have to take care for the deep of the systems because of the windows. Easiest way : Remove one of the panels of the rear doors and dismount a factory equipped speaker. Run the window down and look for all sizes, mounting diameter etc.

Will only take 15 min´s, not a big deal. How to get the panels off I posted w/ pics.

Thanks Crizz. I had a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I traded in for this Explorer. Both Jeeps had the Infinity Gold systems in them and I miss the crisp treble and strong bass sounds. We'll start with the doors then figure out what to do about the subwoofer.

Thanks again!
________
Honda RC110

rpr and others.

I've been reading this thread with great interest and have learned more here tonight that in 2 weeks of research elsewhere.

in rpr's setup he used a jl audio amp and I had a question. (hopefully rpr will see this post).

I noticed that the JL amp that he used allowed for speaker level input. Just wanted to check and make sure that is what was used vs a LOC of some sort. If not, then I missed something and want to make sure I understand his install.

I'm considering an upgrade to my 06 audiophile system and I'd like comments on my proposed setup: (based on my 3 weeks of research)

Keeping the HU as it's got the nav and integrates with the rear seat video and looks pretty good in the dash.

Considering adding a RF 3Sixty advanced LOC/DSP/EQ/Aux Input. This will provide me with the following:

1. Take the 4 channel line outputs from the HU and convert them to RCA's

2. Will (when calibrated) create a flat audio curve thus nutralizing any weird
frequency responses

3. Give me an adjustable EQ to then tune things to my preference

4. Give me a nice aux input to run my hard drive based mp3 player into the
system (yes I'm one of the few on this earth that does NOT own an ipod,
rather an archos av 500 100 gig mp3/video player (if I send my HU off the
avelectronics with 350 bucks it comes back with 2 video inputs!!!)

5. Give me an frequency adjustable sub output to then drive a seperate sub
amp

I'll get either a RF or Alpine 4x100w amp to drive the door speakers

I'll swap the door speakers with a pair of MBQuart RCE 213's (5 1/4 mid with seperate tweeter) and a pair of MB Quart PCE 213's (5 1/4 mid with seperate tweeter). I already own these and never installed them in my other car. If they are lacking, then I'd go to a full size 6x8, but they were fairly expensive (200-300 per set if I remember correctly so I'll give them a try)

I'll get a seperate subwoofer amp and replace the factory sub driver (this will require a bit more research as I'm not really up on my sub technology. I'm not a thumper but I'd like to get something that sounds good.

Finally, if that all sounds really great I'd look into getting some kind of center channel speaker and placing it in that little tray in the center of the dash. The RF 3Sixty has a provision for center channel, not surround sound or anything, but is supposed to create a better sound stage. Was going to do this 15 years ago in my old BMW 325i and never did it (read about Axel Roses 325 convertable with a center channel and got hooked!)

I'd be interested in comments on this concept as what I have learned and understand about the HU at this time it seems like this configuration would work, but I've only been at this a short while and appreciate what others have to say about it.

The beautiful thing about this setup is that it would basically be invisible in the truck. About the only thing showing would be the RF 3Sixty remote volume/aux selector knob and that would go someplace in the lower console out of the way, everything else would be behind factory locations (speakers, subs etc) amps would probably go under 2nd row seats like rpr did in his setup. I really like the idea of invisible. I was thinking about the alpine dsp/eq but it's a single din display that I was thinking about placing were the lowest row of buttons are on the console moving the seat memory/pedal/heated set buttons to other locations, but then it's going to have such an aftermarket look I decided to stay with the classic ford clean design. I was originally looking at the JL cl441dsp for a loc but then I'd need the alpine eq, the RF 3Sixty does it all. Not crazy about having to get an palm pda to configure it, but heck I'll make my office buy it.

Other than that, I've got a parrot bluetooth device bringing my blackberry 7100i nextel phone into the stereo for hands free operation. I think all those electronics mods will keep me happy for a while.

What does everyone think???

Thanks

Roveer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow!!! I just got a response from a rep at JL Audio. I emailed him a few days ago asking about their advanced LOC. I had been told by JL Audio tech support that I would need to use their summing device to sum the front channels with the sub channel. I have been asking on all the message boards whether or not the main outputs were crossed over or highpassed and nobody said that they were. This made me leary of the JL guy (Jose) telling me I need to use their summing device with the sub output to get full frequency for upgraded door speakers. But now I get another confirmation of this from JL. Here is his post:

"The Ford systems with a subwoofer use head unit power to the front and rear speakers and a head unit low-level output to the amplified subwoofer module.

The head unit's main four-channels are high-pass filtered (crossed-over). In some cases (not sure about your Explorer), a CL441dsp will calibrate and correct the main four channels if you boost the bass on the head unit prior to calibration. In other cases, a CL-SSI is needed to sum the subwoofer channel to the main channels.

It's quite possible all you really need is the CL-441dsp if you use the bass boost technique on the head unit. I would suggest that you have your JL Audio dealer try that first and if that does not work in your Explorer to add the CL-SSI (which will definitely work).

Best regards, and thank you for your interest in JL Audio products.

Manville Smith
VP-Marketing
JL Audio, Inc.
msmith@jlaudio.com"

Does everyone that has upgraded their systems keeping the factory HU know that they are getting hi-pass filtered output on their door speakers using line level inputs or simle LOC's??? How much does this matter???

Roveer

Back