Autolamp/autodimming Mirror | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autolamp/autodimming Mirror

Yeah...that cd-rom is invaluable if you do any work on your rig. I use that all the time. Especially when doing something electrical. I always study it for a long time before doing any work. Good luck!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Hoppy i'll look at it but i am no good at wirring relay's, like i said i hooked up the w/p wire and it seems to work fine when i turn the autolamp on as the green light on the mirror comes on but the interior lights come on and make the sound when the dorrs have been opened the beep sound. Anyway i can wait till you get back as i would be interested to see how to wire up the relay's.
I will look under the air filter box i know the relay you are talking about i have seen it before so i'll see if i can splice the w/p wire in their.
Thanks.

HEY YOU GUYS, I JUST PUT IN MY OVERHEAD CONSOLE IN LAST WEEK...AND I ALSO GOT A DIMMER MIRROR ALSO, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO START A THREAD ON ONE UNTIL I CAME ACROSS THIS ONE...ALOT OF INFO IN THIS THREAD THAT HELPED ME A L O T!!!! ANSWERED ALL MY Q'S AND WONDERS...
HOPPY, WHEN I WENT TO THE JUNKYARD TO GET 'EM...I ALSO WANTED AFTERMARKET FOG LIGHTS SINCE I NOW GOT THE SWITCH FOR IT...AND I DID SOME LOOKING AROUND IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT OF THIS 99 X...SINCE IT WAS MISSING AN ENGINE...IT WAS EASY FOR ME TO LOOK AROUND FOR THE FOG LIGHT RELAY...SO I FOLLOWED THE WIRES WHERE THE FOG LIGHT HARNESS WAS AND IT WENT TO A BOX UNDER WHERE THE AIR FILTER BOX WOULD HAVE BEEN AND I OPENED IT UP AND THERE WERE ABOUT 5 RELAYS THERE!!! INCLUDING THE FOG LIGHT RELAY...SO IF YOU ALSO WANT YOUR FOG LIGHTS TO COME ON WITH YOUR HIGH BEAMS OR ETC...THERE IS WHERE YOU WOULD START...THERES A THREAD ON IT SOMEWHERE UNDER GENERAL EXPLORATIONS WHEN I WAS BROWSING THRU IT...
I WANT TO INSTALL MY DIMMER MIRROR ALSO, BUT I CANT DO IT UNTIL NEXT WEEK AFTER I GET BACK FROM WASHINGTON STATE AND SO I WILL HAVE TIME TO DO IT SINCE THE WIFE WONT BE AROUND NAGGIN...HEHE SO KEEP THIS THREAD GOING AND LET ME KNOW WHATS WHAT...I'LL SOON BE THERE WITH Y'ALL...
AND BILLY...I GOT 20 HRS. TO WASTE ON FOR THE MESSAGE CENTER...IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON THE WIRES OR ANYTHING...PLEASE LET ME KNOW...I KNOW WHERE I COULD GET ONE BUT IF YOU DONT KNOW A WHOLE LOT ABOUT IT THEN NEVERMIND...I JUST WANT MORE OPTIONS IN MY X...YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN...I JUST BOUGHT A MIDDLE CONSOLE THAT GOES UP TO THE DASH...AND NOW OVERHEAD CONSOLE LAST WEEK...NEXT WEEK---DIMMER MIRROR...WELL THIS REPLY IS LONG...I'LL END IT NOW...

sorry....didnt mean to write in caps

HOPPY did you manage to fix your Autolamp yet??? i am still waiting for this damn Ford CD
Anyway please let me know when you have and what the wirring diagram is.
Thanks

Whit/Purple wire

"Hoppy" and "96" i just got my FORD cd and you were right this thing is fantastic!!! Anyway i found the W/P wire going to the headlamp relay but it is not in the RAP module so i was thinking that i could extend the W/P wire to the RAP into the slot were it is supposed to be and maybe it could work as it is there but it just isn't connected somwhere or hook up the relay that "Hoppy" has done what do you guy's think??? i Really want this "AUTOLAMP" function!!!
Also i was looking at the cd wiring diagram for the headlight relay and the WP wire goes in and seems to come out as the tan/White wire what if i splice into that wire instead???

Cool man!! I'm glad you like the shop manual. That W/P wire goes from the lighting relays to the RAP and to the mirror. That's how mine is. It won't hurt trying to splice it at the tan/white wire and see what it does. I'm very curious about it. So if you find out anything, tell us.

Big country, if you get the Ford shop manual on CD-Rom, it'll tell you in painful, very painful, detail about the message center.

I wish both of ya luck!! :)

you could take out the ash tray and put it there may be? m8

The one negative thing about "autolamp" is when parked in my garage the lights always come on at startup (even in daytime). Not a big deal but somewhat annoying.

Yes, I know I can keep it off but then...it's not "autolamp" is it?

OK i have been playing around and found that the AUTOLAMP feature itself works normal but not on the headlights instead on the interior lights so what i have found is another W/P wire in the loom next to the battery in the engine so i'll splice into there first then try the T/W wire if this fails i'll need to get HOPPY's relay diagram!!!
When i say it works as normal i mean that when i slide the autolamp on at night the green light in the mirror comes on and so do the interior lights and when i turn the rig off the interior lights stay on then stut off when time has elapsed on the Autolamp. I wonder why the W/P wire i spliced into under the steering column is doing this??? which is why i will try the other W/P wire in the engine bay.

VBTRUK:
perhaps you switched the wrong wires...probaly the wires to your interior lights were actually the wires to the (white/ purple) in the loom...if you used wires of the same color you may accidently hook a wire to the wrong wire. also...about the temp sensor for your overhead console you got...the one that you found on your truck is the harness for the sensor, you will see the blue/white and blue/yellow wires coming out... cut the the wires as much as you can and supply your own wires and lead them under the brake booster going thru the rubber grommet coming into the cab...then lead them thru by the fuse box taking the pillar off...because, you are not as lucky, there are no wires running up to the headliner, you must supply your own...as i did.. and mine works perfectly...just rewired my lights to where they come on whenever i want to instead of them coming on when the door is opened...
PROBLEM: i have one problem with my auto mirror...the dimming works fine, the lights work fine on the mirror...everything is operatable except the head lights dont come on with the auto lamp...however, the auto lamp power light is on and the delay works fine...its just that the headlights dont even come on when my truck is off...i put the white/purple wire to the one in that big ass loom!!!...and still nothing...i dont know...
HOPPY, you might be right on the relays...but i dont understand them...i know that they close/or open when power/ or ground is applied to them...but what will it do??? you said that it pulses at the white/purple wire so it wont fry the mirror,...so when voltage goes thru the relay...it closes and applies a steady amount of voltage to the mirror (no pulsing) because the switch in the relay is closed, hence...autolamp becomes functionable...does that sound right???

BILLY:
i just got my message center today and i bought the cd rom also, so it should be here in a week...however, when i got the message center...i saw a module right beside the stereo...is that for the message center...since you got an eddie baurer...only you can answer that...cuz i dont have that in my XLS...if so, damn i need to get that too...i wonder how much that would cost....but as soon as i get it...im going for it and diggin' in....(XLS, be prepare to be transformed into an eddie baurer)

"BIG C" i am happy about your enthusiansm cos i sure would like a message centre in my xlt but can't cos my floor shift transmission takes up the room there! Anyway i am pretty sure the wire is right for the w/p as i used all different colour wires and wrote them down so i would be able to trace my work, but i will check again. I will try to splice the w/p wire at the headlight relay box and see if that works as it could just be the way the RAP is wired up in my rig, no w/p wire at RAP but the mirror turns on the interior lights with w/p wire spliced so the RAP is doing something there seeing as it controls the door's and lights. And then i'll try the t/w wire i can't read electronic diagrams to well but from what i can tell the w/p wire goes into the a box and comes out as a t/w! Anyway i think that hoppy's Relay's will be the way to go so i can't wait till he get's back from holliday's! Hurry Up Hoppy, we all need you!!!
lol

3 W/P wire's and nothing!

Hey guy's i got something else for you to think about: Today i spliced that W/P wire in three different locations and they all made the mirror do different things???
the first one was down under the driver kick panel where i had it first and when spliced there the interior lights would perform the autolamp feature like stated in my previous posts before, then when i spliced it further up under the steering column it made a relay click on and off somewhere under/inside the centre of the dash sounded like it came from there, then in the engine bay at the headlight relay and nothing at all there??? They were all W/P wire'sand when tested with a circut tester the two wire's inside the rig did just what i said the mirror made it do but did not set off the light in the tester and the W/P wire in the engine bay must have had power to it as the light in the tester lit up???
So Hoppy when you get back i need that Relay diagram off you! Thanks.
oh and the headlights never came on!

Originally posted by BIG COUNTRY
BILLY:
i just got my message center today and i bought the cd rom also, so it should be here in a week...however, when i got the message center...i saw a module right beside the stereo...is that for the message center...since you got an eddie baurer...only you can answer that...cuz i dont have that in my XLS...if so, damn i need to get that too...i wonder how much that would cost....but as soon as i get it...im going for it and diggin' in....(XLS, be prepare to be transformed into an eddie baurer)

The module for the message center is located where the message center is. Right below the center dash bazel, or blow the HVAC controls. Here's a pic of it:

explorer014.jpg

I hope that's the module you're talking about. The one behind the stereo is what I believe the GEM.

Re: 3 W/P wire's and nothing!

Originally posted by vbtruk
Hey guy's i got something else for you to think about: Today i spliced that W/P wire in three different locations and they all made the mirror do different things???
the first one was down under the driver kick panel where i had it first and when spliced there the interior lights would perform the autolamp feature like stated in my previous posts before, then when i spliced it further up under the steering column it made a relay click on and off somewhere under/inside the centre of the dash sounded like it came from there, then in the engine bay at the headlight relay and nothing at all there??? They were all W/P wire'sand when tested with a circut tester the two wire's inside the rig did just what i said the mirror made it do but did not set off the light in the tester and the W/P wire in the engine bay must have had power to it as the light in the tester lit up???
So Hoppy when you get back i need that Relay diagram off you! Thanks.
oh and the headlights never came on!

Man, that's very very weird. I'm sorry I'm no help here. I hope you'll get it straighten out and good luck!! :)

vbtruk:

1. nothing in engine bay
2. interior lights come on
3. relay clicking

you are probaly getting closer...keep going down the wire closer to whatever it is...the relay itself, the rap or ya got me...hehehe

oh yea...OH JOY!!! i bought a RAP at the junkyard yesterday...now knowing i didnt have one...silly me...thats probaly why my autolamps didnt work... but as soon as i receive that damn cd rom...im a puttin it in!

"BIG C" does the RAP you bought have a W/P wire comming out of it as mine does not so i think that's why it don't work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok 96 remember that photo you posted on page 2, well can you remember where that w/p wire is going as i have looked all over the ford cd and can't seem to track where it goes but have found that there are more than one w/p wire's on the ford cd that all play different roles one of which is the autolamp so i need to splice it in the right spot so i was thinking as mine is an overseas model i might be in the wrong spot so can you give me as much info as to where i can find the w/p wire??? What if i drop the panel's under the steering column do you think i would find the w/p wire near the headlight switch?
It's definately there i just need to find it.

Back