Blue Tooth Phone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blue Tooth Phone

robpco

Reaction score
City, State
SF Bay Area
My wife was driving the EX today and when she got up to highway speed it was impossible to hear her through the blue tooth. The wind noise is very loud. i'm wondering if this is related at all to the roof being thin i.e. the loud rain noise. Does anybody know if is possible to upgrade the microphone. Bluetooth is a must in CA with the hands free law.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep I have the same problem and looking for a answer. Some say thiers work fine. I am note sure if its the phone or the car. I have a Blackberry Tour 9630 There does seem to be a fair amount of road noise on the highway but noise cancellation should work. I wish they would come up with a fix. I have also had connection problems but think I figured that out. Disconnect the headset bluetooth before entering car and turn your phone off once a day or so.

Blue Tooth Phone noise

The first call in my XLT was to a friend and the first thing he said was there is more noise than my last car - a VW Tiguan which is about as quite as the XLT. Same phone, very disappointing!

My wife was driving the EX today and when she got up to highway speed it was impossible to hear her through the blue tooth. The wind noise is very loud. i'm wondering if this is related at all to the roof being thin i.e. the loud rain noise. Does anybody know if is possible to upgrade the microphone. Bluetooth is a must in CA with the hands free law.
Greetings fellow Explorer fans!

I have the same bluetooth noise issue....EXACTLY! We've owned our 2011 Limited for about a week now and love it....My wife and I are simply amazed how "high tech" the new explorer is, however it appears we are all in the same boat with no oars when it comes to the phone/bluetooth problem....NOISE during phone conversations. At highway speeds the driver doesn't know about the wind and background noise they are transmitting, but the person on the receiving end does. I trust you all are experiencing this problem. Is it possible the noise cancellation on the microphone is inoperative? Is the location for the mic in a good spot? It may be getting wind noise from the sunroof area? Anyway, after much research and mulitple phone calls, the following information was provided to me by the FORD "SYNC" Technology Team....1-800-392-3673 (option 1, then option 5).

1. There is a software update for SYNC...latest is Version 2.8. They were able to check and verify my Explorer already had Version 2.8 installed.
2. They have not received multiple complaints about this problem from Explorer owners (only one complaint prior to mine). Because of this, the problem has not been brought up as a "REGION ISSUE".
3. SYNC technician said he will forward this concern up to the Customer Research Center (CRC) as a Regional Issue. I should get contacted by a Regional Representative to go over this problem and hopefully their team can identify a solution.
4. It may be a cell phone compatibility issue. I have the LG VX9200, which is also listed on Ford's approved phone testing sheet.

I will try to keep everyone posted with information as I get it. Hope this helps resolve the issue early on.
Cheers!

I don't have any wind noise complaints and I use my phone frequently. I'm assuming everyone having this issue has their windows up while driving.

My wife just called me and i could not understand a thing she said. She is using the Sync bluetooth and it just sounds like a bad cell signal. if she calls me directly from the phone, she sounds fine.

I don't have any wind noise complaints and I use my phone frequently. I'm assuming everyone having this issue has their windows up while driving.

Yes, windows are up. When the speed gets over 45 the noise is so bad conversations are impossible.

I'm having the same problem and the wind noise whooshes in and out whenever the caller from the car speaks.

Have the 2.8 and I'm starting to believe that it started right around the same time as the update.

If you really want to hear wind noise open 1 rear window at 45 mph. I don't even want to have to open a rear window at 70 mph that would really be bad.

I could not believe the amount of noise this open window made. I have not tried opening the other window at the same time. We could not take the noise from 1.

With the windows closed my phone works fine. No reports of wind noise from the person on the other end. I also have this feature in my 2010 F150 it works great - except if it is raining really hard.

Hey guys,
For those having difficulties with noisy calls, please PM me with your VIN, dealer information, approximate mileage, and contact info so I can help by submitting an escalation to the Customer Service Manger in your area. They’ll do everything they can to assist.

Cory

If you really want to hear wind noise open 1 rear window at 45 mph. I don't even want to have to open a rear window at 70 mph that would really be bad.

I could not believe the amount of noise this open window made. I have not tried opening the other window at the same time. We could not take the noise from 1.

This is common with many vehicles. I think there is even mention of this in the Explorer manual. They recommend opening one of the front windows slightly if you want one (or maybe both) rear windows open.

With the windows closed my phone works fine. No reports of wind noise from the person on the other end. I also have this feature in my 2010 F150 it works great - except if it is raining really hard.

Do you have a sunroof?

Yeah, wife is reporting that the mic is getting bad now. So I guess we're in the same boat now. I think its time to wrap it like some had did awhile ago, just gotta find the link.

Sorry would have answered sooner but I had jury duty for 4 days.

Yes I do have the dual panel moon roof. I can open that at 70 with very little noise.

I also have 2010 F-150 supercrew I can open one or both back windows at low or high speeds and get very little noise. I can open just the sliding back glass and not have any noise.

As I was typing this I just thought of what is making such a bad noise in the EX it must be the window shade on the moon roof. I will try opening the shade to see if that is what is making the noise.

Back