Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Cam pos sens. Wiring conversion PROBLEM! 3 wire to 2 wire!

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by Rough & Ready, June 19, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Rough & Ready

Rough & Ready New Member

City, State:
    Kewadin, Michigan
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Ford Ranger
    Ok, i'm sure many of you are familiar with what I am talking about, Does anybody know how to do this, is it even possible! I put a 2000 4.0 (OHV) motor which has a 2 wire cam positioning sensor into a 97 ranger that had a three wire cam positioning sensor, snipped my old plug, have new plug, cannot find how to wire it in, even with some of the specific posts out there, no clear information how to do this, Please somebody who knows for sure give some advice. This thread with member 410Fortune says you can turn a 3 wire into a 2 wire, just doesn't say how
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233415
    :scratch:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Rough & Ready

Rough & Ready New Member

City, State:
    Kewadin, Michigan
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Ford Ranger
    3-2 wire update

Ok, so these 2 wire 3 wire cps use different signal waves, and your comp. will not recognize an incorrect wave, all those 4.0 blocks are damn near the same, so use the right cam synchronizer for your wire harness do not try to convert from 3 to 2 wire or vice versa, u can convert from one style 3 wire to another, but better just to use oem shit, I didn't want to install an new synchronizer, but I did, so easy, getting it to seat was a bit of a pain, but getting motor to tdc, simple, and did it without pulling upper intake...even tho now I have to pull upper intake to change fuel injectors anyways