Cam pos sens. Wiring conversion PROBLEM! 3 wire to 2 wire! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cam pos sens. Wiring conversion PROBLEM! 3 wire to 2 wire!

Rough & Ready

Reaction score
City, State
Kewadin, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger
Ok, i'm sure many of you are familiar with what I am talking about, Does anybody know how to do this, is it even possible! I put a 2000 4.0 (OHV) motor which has a 2 wire cam positioning sensor into a 97 ranger that had a three wire cam positioning sensor, snipped my old plug, have new plug, cannot find how to wire it in, even with some of the specific posts out there, no clear information how to do this, Please somebody who knows for sure give some advice. This thread with member 410Fortune says you can turn a 3 wire into a 2 wire, just doesn't say how
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233415
:scratch:

3-2 wire update

Ok, so these 2 wire 3 wire cps use different signal waves, and your comp. will not recognize an incorrect wave, all those 4.0 blocks are damn near the same, so use the right cam synchronizer for your wire harness do not try to convert from 3 to 2 wire or vice versa, u can convert from one style 3 wire to another, but better just to use oem ****, I didn't want to install an new synchronizer, but I did, so easy, getting it to seat was a bit of a pain, but getting motor to tdc, simple, and did it without pulling upper intake...even tho now I have to pull upper intake to change fuel injectors anyways

Back