clicking in the dash....not the climate fan actuator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clicking in the dash....not the climate fan actuator

swatkinz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT with V8
clicking in the dash...not the blend door actuator (I have that problem too so I know what that sounds like). my issue presented itself a few months ago. I'd get in to go to work, turn the key and nothing. This wasn't an everyday thing. It might happen once per week or once every other month. Today I crank the car to move it. 3 or 4 hours later, I put something in the car and hear a mysterious clicking sound coming from the drivers side. the car hadn't been cranked since moving it several hours earlier. The key wasn't even in it. I go around to that side and tried to isolate the noise, but was unable too. It was a slow click. At this point the battery is dead enough that the auto door locks won't lock/unlock. Of course it was too dead to start as well.

Apparently, I have some kind of spontaneous battery drain. Something's not turning off when it's supposed to. How do I find this if the problem occurs intermittently? Any ideas as to most likely sources of the click/drain?

i had the same problem with my old ford focus. i couldnt figure it out and it drove me crazy so i had a mechanic look at it. he told me my battery terminals were coroded and all he did was clean them. i didnt believe that this was the cause and for 50 bucks i felt like "damn he better be right". he was. i never heard the clicking again and now i never forget to keep those things clean. try that out first before you do anything.

Bumping an old thread but I have this problem now too, however I just installed brand new terminals and I'm still getting it. Any ideas out there?

Could be corrosion in the cables. Are they stiff or flexible?

Back