delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

delexploder's "Vader" 97 v8 sport

Thought id go ahead and finally get this going now that my rig is functional, I started out with my 97 4.0 sohc sport. I bought it in 05 from its original owner with I think around 183,000 miles, I drove it and did small upgrades like autodimming rear view, new pioneer speakers, Monroe coil overs, 99 front bumper and fear hatch, I also did the usual maintainance like upper and lower balljoints ( motorcraft) swaybar links and bushings ( energy suspension) rebuilt rear, tranny rebuild, ect...then I finally started getting the death rattle from the sohc timing parts around 240,000 miles so i started gathering parts for my v8 swap, do not do what I did if you want to do this swap! Get a whole donner vehical, so it was at this point that I came here and that's when i learned (with the help of alot of members) about PATS, anyway that made me rethink and redo most of my work and replace alot of parts , I just finally got it on the road after swapping out the tranny, so now I feel like I can post my elite registry ,I still have a long way to go to get it where I want but i now think im at a good starting point;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty much what 4pointslow posted. i think i had to add 2 power wires, and move 3 other wires.

You won't have to add the power wires, the 97 harness has the 3 already where as a 98 only has 1 power wire going to the soloniods.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ok I just crawled under my brothers and his has a 12 pin TRS but has the white case connector, wtf ? The tag on the side is pkf-af with a 97 part number, and the one on mine is pkf-ad1 with a 96 part number but it came out of a 97 ,

You won't have to add the power wires, the 97 harness has the 3 already where as a 98 only has 1 power wire going to the soloniods.

yea, thats what i had to do. mines a 98. the 96 trans needs power in 3 different places, and 98 had one.

Still trying to get this sorted, I have posted in the wanted section looking for a tranny harness from a late 97 with the xdt2 pcm and the pkf-af tranny with twelve pin trs and he early white case connector

Repinning C116

I just finished my previous post that you could use if you wanted to repin the 97Trans harness to the 98 PCM harness. If you get a new harness instead then you wont need it I guess.

When i looked at my brothers I found that it is its own harness, the case plug on the pass side is like the 96/97 the only thing that is like the 98 up is the range sensor

Found the harness today just got done installing it and both my truck batteries are dead,:mad: so I'll let you guys know how that goes tomorrow

Charged the battery all day and took it for a 15 mile ride with no lights popping up yet , needs fresh gas and I'll change the fuel filter and give it a good looking over, runs rough low on power

Also might re time the cam syncro with the yellow tool and see what happens

Got the fuel filter changed what a pain lol , runs better but still a little of so I am going to try the yellow tool on the cam syncro maybe after dinner but probably tomorrow , look how nasty the filter was

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_164810_913.jpg
    IMG_20150701_164810_913.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_20150701_164817_423.jpg
    IMG_20150701_164817_423.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 311

ewww. how old was that thing? havent done mine in at least 4 years. after seeing this, i think it may be time.

Lol I've never changed it, had the truck since 05 and it now has over 260000 miles

It didn't go too bad, I used the cheap folding tool, once I ground the face of the tools two half circles flat so they were even I beveled the edge and it worked like a charm, had the fittings soaking in wd40 and used long needle nose hose pliers to grab the fitting and pull it toward the tool and once I saw the tool go in used them to wiggle the line off

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_192324_156.jpg
    IMG_20150701_192324_156.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20150701_192339_367.jpg
    IMG_20150701_192339_367.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 268

Didn't get anything done today due to rain but I did get the gas ran out of it and added some fuel treatment , gonna play with the cam syncro in the morning and if the DMV is open try to run it through inspection, again many thanks to all who helped, my next step is to dust off all the boxes of parts and get the 4406 and AVM hubs installed, after some serious cleaning

inspection

Keep us posted, we want to here the good news that it passed!
When are you taking it?

Tomorrow if they are open, alot of stuff is closed for the holiday weekend, if not then monday, im also gonna have to modify the tailpipes and put them on the outside of the springs so i can put the hitch back on, since she took the mounty, she did sign the title over to the green xlt but its gotta go

Xlt

Whats wrong with the XLT?

Its a 4.0 ohv pacific green with tan interior, nothing special just need the money to try to pay some of the bills she left me with

Bills

Shame you couldn't sell her instead.

I dont care about her or our stuff im just worried about my daughters

Back