Easy and Cheap 1.5-2" Rear Lift Without Shackles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy and Cheap 1.5-2" Rear Lift Without Shackles

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
Okay, guys- I'm not a fan of lift shackles. I had them on my old Samurai and it was a nightmare. (Part of the nightmare may have been that all parties were drunk during the SOA conversion, but who's counting?) So I wanted to figure out a way to lift the rear to match the 2" Skyjacker 132S coils I had in the front without spending too much money. Sure, there was the option of the add-a-leafs (which you're welcome to do), but the short AALs put undue stress on the other springs.

So here's what I bought:

1.) New spring retainer clips ($10 for two packs - you can probably get away with one pack and put one clip on each leaf pack)

2.) New spring center bolts ($10 for two at Advance Auto [Motormite PN- 03761] but it's my understanding you could actually run 3/8" grade 8 bolts from Lowe's or Home Depot and save a few more bucks on this step)

3.) Leaf packs from a 1980s full size Chevrolet pick-up truck. Mine came out of a 1987 (or so) 1500. Find someone who lifted their full size truck and they'll probably give you the springs. I paid $10 for them at the junk yard.

First step is to strip down the rear spring pack. To do this you need to lift the Explorer and set jack stands under the frame rails, to keep the body suspended during the work. Otherwise you'll run into serious problems and pain as soon as you unbolt the U-bolts at the axle.
Once the body is on jackstands and the tires are off, remove the four bolts holding the U-bolts in place. The shocks mount to the spring plate so you may want to remove them; I chose to let the plates hang on the shocks while I worked.
Once you have the U-bolts removed, use the floor jack to lift up on the axle to free it from the center bolt- you may need to pry a bit, as they can some times rust together over time.
From here, clamp the springs together using a C-clamp or some other high strength clamp. Don't use anything fragile, as these springs have a lot of pressure on them and they'll take any chance they get to explode out of the pack.
Now that the springs are secured, grind off the bottom side of the spring pack center bolt. You can try to unscrew it, but you have new ones and these won't be long enough anyway, so cut that bish off. Next cut off (or pry off) the spring pack retaining clip toward the front of the axle. Again- you could try to reuse it, but it won't fit, which is why you have new ones... so cut away if you need.

This is what you'll be looking at by this point:

DSC03570.jpg

Now take the springs to an open area where you can move things around. Here is what you'll have for the stock springs (something to note here- the center pin on the Explorer leaf springs is not actually centered- it's offset to the front by a couple inches. The longer section will need to go to the rear):

DSC03571.jpg

Here is how you'll assemble them with the new spring. I used the longest spring from the pack, not counting the main leaf. If you want even more lift you could probably run the shorter spring as well, but I wanted to err on the side of flexy, so I kept the extra spring out...

DSC03572.jpg

A trick I figured out yesterday while assembling the packs is to use a bunch of zip ties to hold them together, slightly compressed, so I can set them into place without them popping out all over the place. If you have someone else helping you this won't be an issue, but if you're doing this solo like I was, strong zip ties will help a lot for this step.

DSC03573.jpg

Here it is completely reassembled. Note the retaining clips on both ends of the spring packs. Stock only had one clip on the front side of each spring pack and none on the back, but I tend to beat the bejeezus out of my rig and wanted to be sure they didn't have a chance to slip around anywhere, so I put one on each end.

DSC03574.jpg

I ended up with about 1.5" lift in the rear, which came out almost perfectly level with the Skyjacker coils I have in the front. While doing all the work in the back I went ahead and removed the rear swaybar because I won't be driving this on the streets often and when I do I won't be doing 70 around any curves. During this process is the perfect time to pull that rear sway bar and get some better flex while you're under there.

DSC03576.jpg

Here's a corner shot, to give a view of the whole truck with the Skyjacker coils, ******* packed rear, and 34x10.50x15s. I still need to trim the front fenders- please disregard the lack of clearance there.

DSC03577.jpg

While I had the jack out I picked up the rear tire just to see whether I'd need to do any trimming in the back. I didn't max it out, but as you can see, it looks like I have plenty of room for the tire to bounce around without contact. This shot is relieving for me because I was concerned that the extra leaf would slaughter my uptravel, but it seems to tuck just fine for what I'll be doing.

DSC03575.jpg

I hope this helps someone in the future. Like I said- only running one spring retaining clip per side, using Lowe's bolts, and getting the springs for free (or cheap at the junk yard as I did), you can essentially lift the rear of your Ex by 1.5-2" for $10-20. Granted, you'll still need new shocks to see the full benefit of the lift, but you get the point.

:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock rear shocks shouldnt be too affected by the small amount of lift you gave the rear. Although, since you removed the rear sway bar you can attach the shock to the sway bar bracket on the rear differential. You can use throw your bolt through one of the holes and bolt the shock up, although it is at a weird angle. If you want something a little better you could do what I did..

100_0826.jpg

That was done with a ProComp shock stud adapter kit. They are very versatile and can be used practically anywhere you have a hole or can drill one.

Great write up! This is similar to the f-150 leaf swap but gives good detailed step-by-step instructions.

Thanks for that tip, man- I'll most likely just get new shocks instead of adapting what I have because while under there I noticed some fluid is leaking from the driver side shock, so they're not going to last long anyway.

I tried to find a write-up on something similar, but couldn't. The only reason I went with the Chevy leaf instead of one from a F-150 is the junk yard had a Chevy with the axle already torn out and the springs were just hanging there, waiting to be snatched. On the Ford I'd have had to go through the process of disconnecting the axle first and with a heat index of 109* I was going for the quickest route out of there! :D

Nice idea but all you've done is substituted a Chevy spring for the add-a-leaf, putting it in the middle of your leaf pack rather than under it.

The setup has some problems, notably in the front/rear length differences in the springs, and the use of spring clips front and rear on different parts of the pack.

It looks pretty unsafe to me, I'd say it's going to stress some certain parts of the spring and eventually cause some bendage or breakage or worse.

Not going with longer shackles to lift is understandable, but this looks like you went to the same amount of work as an add-a-leaf would have been, only to wind up with a worse result.

Might be okay on a beater ride you don't care what happens on, though.

he used what was available.. which was pretty much like using a long AAL.
This answers a lot. Thanks, Four0Sport.

Anime, your response is extreme to the point I'm not sure I want to bother responding. Good luck with your build. As soon as this set-up causes a hazard in the lightest degree, I promise I'll update this thread that you're right, but please don't hold your breath. It would be a waste of time.

freshmeat how did you fit 34s with just a 2" lift? my coils are coming today and i was hoping to go pick up some tires this week. i was just going to go for 31s or 32s.

im wondering how he got his camber correct.. I know when i went with 1.5" leveling coils I couldnt find anyone that would touch my truck. thats mostly why i went with a full 4" lift.

freshmeat how did you fit 34s with just a 2" lift? my coils are coming today and i was hoping to go pick up some tires this week. i was just going to go for 31s or 32s.
I've spent about an hour measuring and cutting away just at the driver's side fender trying to clear these 34s. I have a 3" body lift to use in the event I can't get it to clear, but I'm confident it'll work out. I still haven't had a chance to check clearance since I did the trimming, but I think I have it done. The front bumper looks like ass, but I have the steel to build a new simple bumper anyway. Here's what I have so far- keep in mind, I still need to clean it up and blend the cuts into the wheel wells better. I'm trying to trim enough to clear without having to fab some sort of way to retain the inner fender lining.

d76d6fef.jpg

im wondering how he got his camber correct.. I know when i went with 1.5" leveling coils I couldnt find anyone that would touch my truck. thats mostly why i went with a full 4" lift.
It can be done, it's just a matter of finding a shop who actually cares. I could recommend a few guys if you lived in Louisiana, but that's not really an option. That said, I haven't had an alignment done, yet. Three weeks ago this thing was bone stock- I'm still preparing it for trail use... and even then, I probably won't align it because it's only going to see a maximum of 2,000 miles a year, anyway, and that will be 95% city streets. I'm more focused on buying a house in the next couple months, so I'm cutting corners where I can on this phase and once I get into the new house I'll get an early Bronco D44 and spend the money doing a more in-depth suspension lift / alignment / etc with that set-up. When the time comes, if I don't feel it's safe for street use, I have a full-size truck and a tow dolly to get this to and from the trails until I get it more stable.

Oh, and speedster- I'd recommend sticking to a 31-32" tire if you're only going to have a 2" lift. Preferrably 31s. I'm only sticking to the 2" lift because I already had the coils/shocks, got the rear leafs almost free, the Explorer was practically given to me, and I have extra cutting wheels laying around. It's too much work and I'll be nervous I'll slice my tires until I get around to lifting it more appropriately.

yea i think i will. im just tring to get the coils in today. by the way what size socket do i use on the bolt that comes strait down on the coil?

Another modification to this lift (which as done above is just fine) is to weld (tack weld) u-bolts onto the bottom spring instead of using the clamps.

The clamps are there to keep the springs from "splaying" apart.. If you put weld some u-bolts on the lower leaf (not the overload) so the open end is up.. it will keep them from splaying and give you more droop.

Now seeing your shocks were too short already, it won't gain you anything until you put on longer rear springs..

BTW.. we did a similar lift.. our OME-36 springs (rear) had gotten very soft/saggy over the years. I took one leaf from an f-150 (its possible the leaf came from an explorer pack, I can't remember what it came from) and added it to the pack. It stiffened the rear springs a little, closer to how they were when the OME-36 springs were new and took out the sag.

~Mark

Mark, thanks for your input. I have some U-bolts to do just that sort of thing, but haven't gotten around to it. I have a buddy who's going to help me build a bumper and we'll probably do it then. I just wanted to get them strapped in because there's no telling when we'll actually build the bumper and I'd rather not risk the chance of them popping out of place.

hey freshmeat, you say you have a 3" body lift your not using? how much do you want for it?

I would still rather use lift shackels, they increase flex and don't stiffen the spring pack and they're just fine when properly used.

I also like shackles as a 1st choice over the adding of a leaf, but that is only if the rear springs are riding the way you want..

In our case the rear springs were too soft so the adding the leaf really worked well.. Even with the extra leaf I can shove the tires into the body until they stop, and I can max out the 4" lift shocks (in droop) on the rear.

3249088202_23bae88958.jpg

~Mark

Nice write up !

When I was a kid I thought I remember my father taking the leaf packs off and sending them out to be resprung(?), for an '81 F150.

Is this a possible and existing option to put more life into a leaf pack?

Other than replacing shackles I have never messed with the leaf springs.

The WAR shackles seem like a simple quick fix, I guess, and the ride of my current springs feel okay but I really need an extra inch or two in the rear after replacing my front with new stock coils.

Really like the cheap leaf pack :thumbsup:
Did some 2" lift shackles on mine and they get the job done, BUT we have a lot a big rock here and I'm starting to look at other options. Here's what the butt end of mine looks like on the rocks and in the shop ( lots of granite rash on the shackles, but they are 1/2" thick):

Attachments

• Shackles.jpg
    Shackles.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 10,042
  • Shackles1.jpg
    Shackles1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 9,941

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey freshmeat, you say you have a 3" body lift your not using? how much do you want for it?

I'll let you know ASAP if I decide for good not to use it.

Back