Engine going riki tiki tak after spark plug change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine going riki tiki tak after spark plug change

G-96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ONT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT , '00 Sport
I changed the plugs last night and right after the startup the engine sounded rough and was shaking. clearly a misfire or no fire, but I checked the wires today and they were all on tight and in the right order. Could it be that I didn't seat one of the plugs well enough, like the last one on the pass side which is the hardest. I gapped them all to .054

My guesses are as follows

1.. dropped plug #5 on concrete and could be broken although it looked fine and I regapped it
2.. one of the wires ripped internally while removing them
3.. one of the plugs didn't go in far enough, possibly cross threaded although unlikely

Right now is starts but at low RPM it shakes and high RPM it mini-backfires and sputters and has major loss or power.

Thanks for tips.

Maybe a crossed plug wire?

I would lean towards the wires being crossed too, I did this on my Explorer Sport Trac after I changed out my coil, plugs and wires. Kept backfire=ing, sputtering and sounding just like what you describe.

This was my first guess as well but I checked the order of each wire and it was good. It has to be one of the 3 issues I mentioned above.

I don't recall but maybe odb2 will say something about which plug it is

Back