• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Gap

Jaywalker

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT V6 SOHC
My 98 SOHC runs much better now with new plugs and wires. And even knowing that using a .054" wire gap tool (JC Whitney) didn't make much difference from a locally available .055" tool, it made me feel better to at least attempt to set it right.

I know .001" doesn't make any difference - I expect I have at least that much variance just in the feel of the drag, but how much variance does matter? .002"? .005"?

Drive it a few 10,000 miles and it'll change anyway - the plugs I removed calipered at .086".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOu should always check the gap on all plugs. They say they are pre-gapped, but I don't ever trust it.

I did set them at .054". My question is how much variance makes a difference?

I did set them at .054". My question is how much variance makes a difference?

In the manual it gives you a gap range, something like .54-.57. So you are within tolerance.

I just did this and was in shock that the gap was so big.

briwayjones: In the manual it gives you a gap range, something like .54-.57. So you are within tolerance.
So, does this mean I should regap them when they reach 0.058"?

When I'm regapping plugs, I always set them slightly narrower
than what the specs say. I figure this gives them a margin to 'wear-in'
so the plugs will be within specs for a longer period before
being replaced again......

In the manual it gives you a gap range, something like .54-.57. So you are within tolerance.

Whoops, I just realized what I wrote. You might want a range from .054"-.057" not more than a half an inch of .54"-.57". :D

I would be interested to know what other owners gap thier plugs at on duel fuel engines ( LPG/ petrol)
Although i have changed both plugs and leads ,when on LPG i get missing and banging in the exhaust at low revs .
On petrol its fine and will pull your socks off :)
My explorer is a 97 model

I would be interested to know what other owners gap thier plugs at on duel fuel engines ( LPG/ petrol)
Although i have changed both plugs and leads ,when on LPG i get missing and banging in the exhaust at low revs .
On petrol its fine and will pull your socks off :)
My explorer is a 97 model

Did you get any other info on the gap needed for dual fuel engines?

I purchased Champion plugs on ebay http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...7s3KBw&usg=AFQjCNECgkDCJwD6BLfyhyeT3k1JXpilTg but having read up on various forums, it seems like these may not be the best ones for LPG and the gap may need adjusting.

Wow, I didn't know we had so many members from the UK. Is it cheaper in the UK, or Europe in general to use LPG over gas?

Wow, I didn't know we had so many members from the UK. Is it cheaper in the UK, or Europe in general to use LPG over gas?
Petrol in the UK is now about £1.09 per litre, I'm currently paying £0.56 a litre for LPG. I roughly get about 240-260 miles for £34.00 (depending on how heavy my foot is), haven't got round to working out how much this would be in petrol but I believe you get about 20% less MPG when running on LPG...but I'm, not so bothered when it's about half the price :)

alldata says the gap for the spark plugs is 1.3-1.4 mm (0.052-0.056 in)

I have a 99 explorer sport. When I pulled my plugs they were set at .047. The truck ran very smooth and with great speed, and burned a moderate amount of fuel. I changed the plugs due to one misfiring. when I did this I set the gap at .054 this made my truck burn the crap out of gas and run a little sluggish. What do I do ????

ah I remember I used to set my gap much wider with the pertronix in my mustang...wow, that made a difference..went from .050 to .065 or something like that

can we do something like that with 4.0 explorers? can we get a hotter spark?

Back