Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Explorer Cruise Control Diagnosis Help

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by JoshExplorer7, April 22, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. JoshExplorer7

JoshExplorer7 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Ford Explorer XLS
    I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS and need some help diagnosing my cruise control problem. The switches on the steering wheel light up, but when I click the on button the cruise control light on the dash doesn't come on. I haven't dug too deep into the module, but I'm guessing I just need to replace the switches on the steering wheel. However, I don't want to pay the money if it isn't that! Any help would be awesome, thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rolleye

rolleye It's a disease I tell ya

City, State:
    Calgary AB, Canada
    02 Sport - Playne Jayne
    Welcome Josh

The dash light should come on after your push set button - after pushing the ON button.

I think you have to be travelling faster than 40 mph maybe before it will actually set. Try that first.

There is a diagnostic procedure as well and I will post it here once I find it ...

Last edited: April 22, 2014
  4. mjs2424

mjs2424 New Member

94 ford explorer
    the box under hood for cruise control making lot of noise ..help 94 explorer.loud vacum sounds from actuator box under hood ..can it be repaired or will it have to be replaced ,what my son called the part .I dont know if correct has electronics in round box links to vacum hose

Last edited: March 24, 2015
  5. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
    cruise control self test

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
    will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
    Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
    If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
    The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
    NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
    If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
    2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
    3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
    4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective
    Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

6. shucker1

shucker1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Metairie, Louisiana
    98 XLT 5.0
    Neat,

Thanks Corkey.

Bookmark!

7. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boonton, New Jersey
    1998 XLT
    Most likely it's the switch on the brake master cylinder. Very common failure item.