Explorer Cruise Control Diagnosis Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Cruise Control Diagnosis Help

JoshExplorer7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLS and need some help diagnosing my cruise control problem. The switches on the steering wheel light up, but when I click the on button the cruise control light on the dash doesn't come on. I haven't dug too deep into the module, but I'm guessing I just need to replace the switches on the steering wheel. However, I don't want to pay the money if it isn't that! Any help would be awesome, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Josh

The dash light should come on after your push set button - after pushing the ON button.

I think you have to be travelling faster than 40 mph maybe before it will actually set. Try that first.

There is a diagnostic procedure as well and I will post it here once I find it ...

the box under hood for cruise control making lot of noise ..help 94 explorer.loud vacum sounds from actuator box under hood ..can it be repaired or will it have to be replaced ,what my son called the part .I dont know if correct has electronics in round box links to vacum hose

cruise control self test

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective
Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

Neat,

Thanks Corkey.

Bookmark!

Most likely it's the switch on the brake master cylinder. Very common failure item.

Back