• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Pro Comp Add a Leaf

Eli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Does anybody have experience installing these aal's from Summit Racing, the part is EXP-13120. Do I have to completely remove the band/clip that holds the current spring pack together in order to install the new leaf? I will now have 4 leaves, right? Or do I just replace the old leaf that matches the same size as the new one (which presumably has a higher arch to it) and reuse the old clip, so that there would still be 3 leaves? Are those clips even reusable once removed? It looks like I'll probably damage them somewhat in the removal process. I have read somewhere of replacing the clip with a U-bolt, but that maybe didn't allow enough play/walk to provide progressive shock absobtion, (but I do realize that my already "stiff" rear end will become even stiffer, so I am not expecting too much, just don't want to damage anything). Is this the best product for this mod? I have also seen the ProComp single AAL at 4wheelparts.com.

I already have Warrior Shackles and TT (about 2 years now), but the rear has sagged enough to convince me it is time for AAL. Any help with a description of this process is greatly appreciated, sorry for all the questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if this will help, but I put a Superlift add-a-leaf kit on my '94. It was the long one which mounts just under the main leaf (the one that goes all the way accross). I had to remove the ubolts holding the axle, unbolt the old leaves, install the new one with the new supplied bolt, and put it back together with a lot of clamping and wrestling :hammer: around to get everything back in place. Yes, the spring pack clamp has to come off and no it won't go back on. You will need to get a new one. I could not find any at the local parts stores so I called Superlift and they sent me some. (why they didn't put any in the kit in the first place?)

The job wasn't too difficult. It took me about 2 hours on the first side and about an hour on the second side once I had figured everything out and had all my tools out.

All the work is definitely worth it. :cool:

I installed the same one's in my X.,

After you support the truck, you just remove the shockplate and ubolts, then cut the center bolt holding the pack together, then add the AAL between the overload spring (the thick flat one on the bottom) and the rest of the pack, and replace the bolt with one of the provided ones. and reassmble.
I found it easier to use a small hand clamp to squeeze the pack together and tighten the bolt.

You dont need to remove the bands or even take the spring pack out of the truck.

Just make sure you support the frame of the vehicle on good jack stand's

Hope this helps

Campo, I think I understand, effectively the original spring pack will remain bound together with the original band. The new bolt will then connect the new (4th) leaf to the system, but will not be inserted into the existing band. Sounds OK, I'll go for it.:D What is the total lift gain on your truck with this AAL?

I got about an inch.

Back