Finally changed EPC solenoid...results | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally changed EPC solenoid...results

Autel MaxiDiag US703. $150 shipped from Amazon. Does everything multi-thousand dollar Ford factory computers do.

I'm going to have to second the fact that you don't know what you're talking about when you are saying that this thing does what factory scanners do. This might be a really good tool for shade trees to read all kinds of codes and even data log some items, but it can't do what can be done on a laptop with Motorcraft IDS software and VCM. I bet you aren't switching shift solenoids on command, running MAF contamination tests, programming keys, programming GEM modules, or reflashing PCMs with this thing! If you aren't...then you aren't coming close to what a factory tool does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume it was understood there was very slight exaggeration when I said the MaxiDiag can do "everything" the Ford Factory Computer can do.

You must work/have worked for Ford to have experience with it's tool. The features you listed are for the elite of the elite of mechanical work and clearly outside the scope of any non-professional, or even non-shade-tree professionals not working in a Ford facility. I even question why Ford repair shops would even need those features. I would think they would replace the MAF well before they hooked it up to the computer to run contamination tests. It seems these features are more for internal Ford research during production than dealership repair.

I challenged you to post prices of these tools, if they are even available for public sale - which you did not respond to. The price comparison will more than prove my point.

I trust a genuine Ford scanner is outside the reach of anyone on reading this forum and they'll find my advice helpful.

And what about this Snap-On you mentioned. What exactly do you get over the MaxiDiag for its outrageous price?

I just realized these were 2 different posters.

This thread was about DIYs and diagnosing bad transmission solenoids and I posted in response to needing a good scanner that would read manufacturer specific codes. I discovered an excellent product and wanted to share my experience with the rest of the Explorer community. Then you guys dig this thread up from the grave to call me out for being too overzealous with my choice of words. You guys win.

IDS/VCM II Kit options:
Part #164-R9805 Base VCM II kit - $1500
Part #164-R9807 VCM II kit with customer flight recorder (CFR) - $1600
Part #164-R9800 Panasonic Toughbook, VCM II and CFR - $4900
Part #164-R9802 Panasonic Toughbook, VMM, VCM II and CFR - $10,000

*IDS software license subscription sold separately - $700 per year

As much as I would love to have access to the full factory diagnostic suite, I can't justify that price nor would I ever even need half of it. But I really, really want it :D

Snap-On, Matco, Mac, OTC, etc... all make various ranges of scanners. The lowest ones are simple code readers. The higher levels have access to things like scopes, near complete make/model coverage and continual updates for new products and code access. But no matter how good those are, they will never be as good as the factory tool for their specific brand. They are great, however, for independent shops that see many different makes.

For the home mechanic, none of these are price efficient. You would have to do a loooooooooooooooot of work just to break even on the cost of the Ford or tool truck scanner. By that point, they'll probably be on to something different anyways. OBDVIII or something.

I assume it was understood there was very slight exaggeration when I said the MaxiDiag can do "everything" the Ford Factory Computer can do.

No, I assumed that people would say what they meant. You said it could do everything the dealer tool could...and the plain fact is that it can't. I would assume that anyone who knew enough about these computers wouldn't be foolish enough to make such an exaggeration, so I'm letting you know, that you don't in fact know much.

You must work/have worked for Ford to have experience with it's tool. The features you listed are for the elite of the elite of mechanical work and clearly outside the scope of any non-professional, or even non-shade-tree professionals not working in a Ford facility.

Wrong again. I do not and have never worked for Ford or any dealership. I am nothing more than a shade tree DIY who knows a thing or two. If you consider knowing what the hell you're talking about and having some knowledge of diagnostics being "elite", then so be it. I'm elite I guess.

I challenged you to post prices of these tools, if they are even available for public sale - which you did not respond to. The price comparison will more than prove my point.

I already mention the price, and it is available to the public. We bought one at the locksmith shop I worked for straight off ebay. Motorcraft allows purchase of official operating software and even PCM programming and updates right on motorcraft.com. ***** about the price if you like, but it more than paid for itself reflashing PCMs and programming PATS, fobs and new keys for people. What you can't do with the tool you mentioned proves MY point. You may be able to diagnose something with your cheaper scanner, and maybe luckier still if it's something a shade tree can even fix. The tool I mentioned can actually diagnose and fix things...and the point wasn't that it was something that you could afford. The point was...that your point about a $150 scanner being just as good, was dead ass wrong.

Then you guys dig this thread up from the grave.

What does the passage of time have to do with anything? The threads still exist, and people can still find them in search. You made a technically inaccurate statement, so count on someone in a forum dealing with technical accuracy to maybe point something out if so. Don't get ass hurt about it. Just say you exaggerated and leave it at that.

IDS/VCM II Kit options:
Part #164-R9805 Base VCM II kit - $1500
Part #164-R9807 VCM II kit with customer flight recorder (CFR) - $1600
Part #164-R9800 Panasonic Toughbook, VCM II and CFR - $4900
Part #164-R9802 Panasonic Toughbook, VMM, VCM II and CFR - $10,000

*IDS software license subscription sold separately - $700 per year

As much as I would love to have access to the full factory diagnostic suite, I can't justify that price nor would I ever even need half of it. But I really, really want it :D

Snap-On, Matco, Mac, OTC, etc... all make various ranges of scanners. The lowest ones are simple code readers. The higher levels have access to things like scopes, near complete make/model coverage and continual updates for new products and code access. But no matter how good those are, they will never be as good as the factory tool for their specific brand. They are great, however, for independent shops that see many different makes.

For the home mechanic, none of these are price efficient. You would have to do a loooooooooooooooot of work just to break even on the cost of the Ford or tool truck scanner. By that point, they'll probably be on to something different anyways. OBDVIII or something.

Actually, I believe we did pay $2200 for the VCM & IDS, but you can use any laptop with it. You don't need their toughbook. I used an Acer Aspire notebook from WalMart. And part of that money was recouped in selling off the older NGS tool which are getting cheaper by the day...and by advertising to people around that we could do all sort of neat crap to their Ford, besides make them a new set of keys. Hell, even the Ford house was having us do all their key work. It was cheaper I guess than having their own technicians do it, but we charged about $120 for key origination. Took about 20 minutes. When you can undercut the dealer using their own tool, believe me, there are ways to make that money back pretty fast :salute:

Those toughbooks are awesome though, and as far as I can tell, indestructible. I had one get blown off the top of a Harrier one time from another jet passing by, and that's about a twelve foot drop or so. Scratched the case a bit, but worked perfectly. And the nicer ones have touch screens and rotatable monitors.

Yeah, but for the money to the average DIY mechanic, not very justified to spend the extra on that when your IDS already costs so much, and you can use a cheapo $100 netbook to do the same thing. You could buy 7-10 of those for what I've seen the low range toughbooks go for. If it can take a 20 mike mike round, then we'll talk about indestructible. LOL

Driving a blue 98 explorer xlt has been driven 230,000 plus miles and as the newest owner have put on hardly 5000 of those miles. The OP says he replaced the PCS, Pressure control sensor, that I believe is just so happens I'm going to replace in mine. I hope to have same results unfortunately I continue drive this vehicle is in fail safe and could cause transmission failure completely. I have fixed the thermostat housing and water pump same time so I maybe going to check further that I can improve on this 5r transmission. I do like to do preventive maintenance myself if possible. Have some good leads as to the valve body have issue w. Gasket. Please stay on topic of this thread and I'm glad this thread still here I have every comment but the original poster made me confident to work on trans myself. I'm also seeing maybe loose or broken wires at the MAF sensor or air temp sensor. Any input would be much appreciated ,Thank you

Back