1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

First time 4WD use this morning

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by digifoss, February 19, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. digifoss

digifoss Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Grants, NM
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    07 Explorer XLT
    After owning this Explorer for two months now and having not had a chance to try out the 4WD, this morning brought 6 inches of snow, single digit temperatures and extreme icy roads - a great morning to get a feel for the Explorers 4WD. It couldn't have worked any better. I have a steep drive way, exiting is all uphill and it was all nice and slick this morning so I used the 4Low out of my place and down to the first stop at about 20mph, then switched to 4Hi to run my errands, all worked great. I notice a little single thump when going in or out of 4Low. while stopped, in neutral with the brake pedal pressed. It sounds like something normal, hope it is but it works great. 4Hi is really all thats necessary so I don't see 4Low getting used much. Going in or out of 4Hi while moving is undetectable except for the "4x4" LED that lights up or goes off in the dash panel.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    I'd use 4HI, and stay in 4 Auto. 4LO is for really bad conditions and strains the drive train.
    In 12 years I have had mine, I use 4Lo just few times.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. michael loibl

michael loibl Active Member

City, State:
    maywood, new jersey
    2006 eddie bauer
    I finally used 4 low for the first time after 12 years of ownership this past October

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    Even if you don’t use it, I’d exercise the shift motor at least twice a year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. digifoss

digifoss Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Grants, NM
    07 Explorer XLT
    All useful answers, thanks for the replies. My 95 Suburban also has 4Hi and 4Lo. I have used the 4Lo once that I can remember in 12 years. As for the Explorer, having 4Lo is a nice option if there was ever any need for it. I only used it yesterday because I wanted to know whether it worked or not. Going forward, the only use 4Lo will probably get is to engage it once in a while to keep it in working order as Mr Brooks said.

7. AKForce

AKForce New Member

09 Explorer 4.0
    One thing that I have noticed living in Alaska is that 4lo is great for super snowy situations where traction or passability is extremely limited, but it seems to take a real strain on the entire system even if used sparingly.
    We use 4lo 3-4 times a year during the winter and the drivetrain and especially front wheel setups always seem extra stressed from 4lo.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    If there is plenty of slip 4 Low shouldn’t really cause any real stress over 4wd HIGH. It’s also much easier on the transmission.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    4Lo is less stressful on the engine and trans, it multiplies the torque by what, 2.5 times. It's also a good way to test the rev limiter if the trans will shift that high. Make a good video too wouldn't it, show the tach climb really quick, do it on ice and the speed would too.

I hope I haven't given anyone any bad ideas.:eek: