Flashers Exposed, well at least where the relay is... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashers Exposed, well at least where the relay is...

Going through every system on my new (old) 94 Ex 4X4.

Started testing each electrical system for function and noticed that the Emergency Hazard Flashers were inoperative, but the turn signals were functioning properly.

Since I don't have a good manual yet, started looking for the relay in the most obvious place: Passenger Compartment Fuse Panel. Virtually every vehicle on the road has both the Turn Signal Relay and Hazard Flasher Relay either on this panel or mounted adjacent to it.

I only found one relay, and turned on the Turn Signals to determine which relay I was looking at. Sure enough, it was the Turn Signal Relay. For those of you who don't know how these work, it is simple relay operating from a bi-metallic strip principle. The relay has a strip of metal that is mounted in a "loaded" or "sprung" position. When activated and voltage is transferred across the metal band, it heats up and the two different metal strips (hence bi-metallic) expand at different rates causing the un-loading or un-springing of the band. This "makes and breaks" the circuit thus giving the intermitent "flashing" pattern. The same operation takes place with the turn signal relay. The band is actually working much like a childs hand clicker. It "pops" and "un-pops" as it it compressed or released. Which is why you hear the audible sound when signals/flashers are activated.

So while I had my hand near the Flasher Switch, I went ahead and depressed it to "call" for the flashers (this is the extended or upward position).

I read another thread about the Hazard Relay being located under the lower cover of the steering wheel, with the relay located behind a second panel.

My 94 had no such configuration. So with the steeing wheel lower cover panel still removed, it made the search easier.

The Hazard Relay was actually located on the upper half, or top, of the fuse panel. It has a light grey plastic jacket over it and is round just like the turn signal relay visible from beneath.

Apparently, mine was just a loose connection as it started working as soon as I began removing it. I went ahead and pulled it anyway and cleaned the terminal connections. Reinstalled and buttoned everything back up.

Hope this helps someone else find a problem with their "flashers"...;)

Back