Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Fuel gauge inaccurate after fuel pump replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by geosnooker2000, August 23, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
    Somerville TN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
    I started a thread last week about my fuel pump going out. I had it fixed, picked it up on Wednesday, and ever since, my fuel gauge hasn't made sense. My truck went in the shop nearly full. I wasn't sure what would be involved with replacing the pump, since I assume it is IN the tank (could be wrong). Anyway, when I picked it up, it read about 3/4 full. Over the next day and 1/2, I ran it down below 1/4 tank, so I pulled in and filled it up. To my surprise, it only took 12.5 gallons. So since then, I have driven about 150 miles. At this point, my gas gauge reads slightly less than 1/2 tank, however, my economy computer says I have about 2/3 of a tank, I have 260 miles to go before empty, and I have been getting about 19.6 mpg for this tank. That kind of backs up what happened when I filled up yesterday with the 12.5 gallons.

So is there something that could have been done wrong by the mechanic that causes my gauge to read incorrectly?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mike1045

mike1045 New Member

City, State:
    Concord, NH
    2008 Explorer Ironman
    I’m having the same issue. It’s going back in next week for the mechanic to try and figure it out.

4. CharlieK9

CharlieK9 New Member

City, State:
    GREENCASTLE, PA
    2010 Explorer XLT
    Possibly the wrong float assembly connected to the sensor. Sensor assembly should have been part of the pump assembly part number for your vehicle. Sensors can be bought separately though .Whatever it is, it will require dropping the tank again.

5. geosnooker2000

geosnooker2000 Active Member

City, State:
    Somerville TN
    '10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
    Did you get the issue fixed, and if so, what was their mistake? I just put mine back in today, but I question the guy's competency.