Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

IMO it looks like you are covering a mistake. ST emblems with the clear medallion removed that can be painted to match. Gen 5 similar?

DSC00018.jpg
DSC00024.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ordered the black emblems from Tim on Etsy. I'll post pics after the install. Thanks for all the great info in this thread and on this forum in general. Greatly appreciated!

Rgds, Fred

Emblems arrived from Tim on Friday. Decided to put them on today. Some comments with the pics below.

No problem with removing the front emblem other than to note that I did break out two small portions of the grill holes when I removed the original emblem (small white crescents above the holes):

160258531.gif

Front emblem as expected :

160258539.gif

Tim did not send the overlay for the rear. He sent a complete emblem with base, but without the ribbed inner surface. It's probably the emblem that fits in the bezel for the F150 camera, but I don't know this for sure. You can see the part he sent in the pic below :

160258528.gif

I went ahead with the install anyway, using 3M adhesive tape trimmed to fit. I removed the old emblem with knotted fishing line and goo gone. Killer adhesive was used by Ford and I only cleared it from the very edge. This allowed it to bond with the 3M tape on the inner side of the emblem. The result is perfect :

160258535.gif

Here's the front, just as expected :

160258526.gif

Waiting on the Remin interior real carbon fiber kits to arrive and thinking about having a discussion with my wife about going ahead with the Livernois 93 tune.

So i just ordered from tim on esty..looks like the front is a stick on?..same as back?

So i just ordered from tim on esty..looks like the front is a stick on?..same as back?
The front is a stick-on and it works great. The rear is supposed to be a stick-on metal overlay that replaces the existing blue and chrome overlay, but that is not what Tim sent me. He sent what I think is the F150 bezel insert which also happens to be 7in. I went ahead and used it by mounting it with 3M industrial strength double sided tape trimmed to fit. This meant that I had to completly remove the original blue and chrome badge and mounting base from the Explo. The blue and chrome rear badge was difficult to remove because Ford uses a really great adhesive. I took my time and removed it with a knotted nylon fishing line and goo gone.

Emblems arrived from Tim on Friday. Decided to put them on today. Some comments with the pics below.

No problem with removing the front emblem other than to note that I did break out two small portions of the grill holes when I removed the original emblem (small white crescents above the holes):

160258531.gif

Front emblem as expected :

160258539.gif

Tim did not send the overlay for the rear. He sent a complete emblem with base, but without the ribbed inner surface. It's probably the emblem that fits in the bezel for the F150 camera, but I don't know this for sure. You can see the part he sent in the pic below :

160258528.gif

I went ahead with the install anyway, using 3M adhesive tape trimmed to fit. I removed the old emblem with knotted fishing line and goo gone. Killer adhesive was used by Ford and I only cleared it from the very edge. This allowed it to bond with the 3M tape on the inner side of the emblem. The result is perfect :

160258535.gif

Here's the front, just as expected :

160258526.gif

Waiting on the Remin interior real carbon fiber kits to arrive and thinking about having a discussion with my wife about going ahead with the Livernois 93 tune.

Can't wait to see pics of the Remin interior!

Maybe I missed the link but can you post the link to the site you got them from. Thanks

Just a heads-up, I don't think Tim at Etsy is shipping the rear emblem stick-on replacement. It seems that the only one he has as a selection in the Etsy listing is the complete rear emblem already attached to a base without adhesive. If this is so, you'll have to improvise like I did for attaching the rear emblem. As I noted in my original post, I used 3M double sided tape. This is not the emblem that you peel off the blue one from the existing base and double stick the new one.

Just a heads-up, I don't think Tim at Etsy is shipping the rear emblem stick-on replacement. It seems that the only one he has as a selection in the Etsy listing is the complete rear emblem already attached to a base without adhesive. If this is so, you'll have to improvise like I did for attaching the rear emblem. As I noted in my original post, I used 3M double sided tape. This is not the emblem that you peel off the blue one from the existing base and double stick the new one.

Ok thanks..i will see when they arrive

No problem with removing the front emblem other than to note that I did break out two small portions of the grill holes when I removed the original emblem (small white crescents above the holes):.

There seems to be no way to avoid this. I'm quite certain I had every nut / bolt detached, and it still broke the same way.

If not already noted: there is no reason to heat gun the front emblem, as there is no tape / glue holding it on. I am making a custom flat emblem, but currently a temporary black vinyl is applied to cover the holes. The 3M 1080-G212 gloss metallic black vinyl actually matches the tuxedo black paint pretty well tho :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_6098 (2).jpg
    IMG_6098 (2).jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_6097 (2).jpg
    IMG_6097 (2).jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 869

Ya i broke those two things as well...oh well. I love the black emblem look on mine front and back...should have been from factory like that

I also attached the front with adhesive..but it stated to fall with hot temps..so i just super glued it...not going anywhere now lol

I also attached the front with adhesive..but it stated to fall with hot temps..so i just super glued it...not going anywhere now lol
Hey Pup, mine front did the same thing. I removed the original adhesive and replaced with 3m industrial and dots of super glue same as you did.

For the rear emblem, did Tim send the pre-mounted one with studs, or did he send the overlay that requires you to reuse the original base?

Use this: http://amzn.to/1G3pkqz . No super glue needed.

Did my back one just around the edges with this and it also ain't goin anywhere. It would still however be removable, just very difficult.

Question for y'all- if you could have the same emblem, but flat instead of raised, which would you choose? Soon I'll have a picture so you can get a better visual.

Hey Pup, mine front did the same thing. I removed the original adhesive and replaced with 3m industrial and dots of super glue same as you did.

For the rear emblem, did Tim send the pre-mounted one with studs, or did he send the overlay that requires you to reuse the original base?

Overlay with the tape on the inside. So i just placed it over the old one. I don't mind some chrome sticking from side

looks really cool. I may need to do this on my new ride

You think that the ones from etsy would fit the 2016 Sport as well? The listing says 2004-2014, but explosportguy, they fit on your '15, right?
Another quick question, I want to remove the ecoboost and the sport sign from the tailgate, the fishing line and goo gone should work as well, right?

You think that the ones from etsy would fit the 2016 Sport as well? The listing says 2004-2014, but explosportguy, they fit on your '15, right?
Another quick question, I want to remove the ecoboost and the sport sign from the tailgate, the fishing line and goo gone should work as well, right?
hi Britta, not sure regarding the 2016, but the badges from Tim on etsy did fit my 2015 Sport. Not sure regarding the Sport and Ecoboost badges, sometimes badges have 'location' pins that fit into holes in the body. Maybe someone else has removed theirs and can comment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi Britta, not sure regarding the 2016, but the badges from Tim on etsy did fit my 2015 Sport. Not sure regarding the Sport and Ecoboost badges, sometimes badges have 'location' pins that fit into holes in the body. Maybe someone else has removed theirs and can comment.

Thanks for the info! I measured them and yes, they're also 9" front and 7" on the tailgate. But I might even try to paint/spray paint mine myself.
As for the other badges, the ecoboost really isn't the big deal, but I somehow dislike the font they used for the "sport" badge. I might just be overly picky... but... :D

Back