Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

Has anyone removed the front and rear emblems off a 2016 explorer sport yet as the OP asked?

I've purchased new ones (black) and they came with double sided tape. I called ford body shop and they said the front one looks like it is fastened with double sided tape.

I heated it and used fishing line to pull it off, but pulling up one end of it I couldn't see tape holding it on. It felt like I was pulling really hard and didn't want to break the grill so I stopped.

Anyone know for sure how the (front & rear) emblems are secured?
Using the Forum's 'Search' program is a start. I found this thread with which I have merged this one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello, its a great question. have you had any success as if yet? I was looking to remove the front one myself.

I am also looking to remove the front license plate holder. We are not required to have one in AZ. Looks like plastic rivets but not sure.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
The 'Search' program is a very useful tool. There is a thread on removing the front plate in the 'Sticky' section at the beginning of this sub forum. Good luck.

Peter

Peterk9,
Thanks. I have used the 'Search' function and have done quite a few searches for anyone mentioning removing the emblems from a '2016 Ford Explorer Sport' to no avail which is why I responded to MichaelNC's thread. I had already read the thread you merged this one to, but it did not help. At least as far as I remember.

The 'search' function is very useful, but doesn't always turn up what folks are after unfortunately.

Peterk9,
Thanks. I have used the 'Search' function and have done quite a few searches for anyone mentioning removing the emblems from a '2016 Ford Explorer Sport' to no avail which is why I responded to MichaelNC's thread. I had already read the thread you merged this one to, but it did not help. At least as far as I remember.

The 'search' function is very useful, but doesn't always turn up what folks are after unfortunately.
I'm guessing the emblem on the 2016 is attached the same way as al others. That is one reason I moved it here. If not, then hopefully someone will jump in but to my knowledge no one has removed one on a 2016 yet.

Peter

I'm guessing the emblem on the 2016 is attached the same way as al others. That is one reason I moved it here. If not, then hopefully someone will jump in but to my knowledge no one has removed one on a 2016 yet.

Peter

After pulling up one end of the front emblem and not seeing any tape, I'm doubtful mine is secured with tape. I heated it and used fishing line to pull up one side, but had to pull so hard it was twisting the grill and I don't want to break the grill. Called the body shop of a ford dealer and he thought it was tape as well. Dealers aren't always right however when it comes to new vehicles. I'm running it by a body shop in a couple days to let them look at it. I'll post as soon as I know for sure about the front and rear.

I have new emblems to put on my 2016 put have not had time yet to put them on. Would like to know about this as well

It looks like it has nuts on the back side. I have tried to figure out how to remove the whole grill on my 2016 Explorer Sport but have not figured it out, and have not been able to find anyone that knows. Hopefully someone figures it out, if I do I will post.

updates from the 2016 guys? I am thinking of ordering a set. On my 15 the front was held in with self threading nuts/clips (they make a tool to slide in there, but I just broke them) and the rear was adhesive.

It looks like it has nuts on the back side. I have tried to figure out how to remove the whole grill on my 2016 Explorer Sport but have not figured it out, and have not been able to find anyone that knows. Hopefully someone figures it out, if I do I will post.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Did you check out this thread in the 'Sticky' section?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415328
Not sure how or if any of it applies to a 2016.

Peter

On the 2016 Sports:
Front emblem is held on with 2 self threading nuts.
Rear emblem is held on with double sided tape a some plastic lock thingies

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

On the 2016 Sports:
I love the black emblems where did you get them?

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 479

EBAY: joe1966fairlane

Thanks can you tell if the black is baked on or painted? I had the painted and it did not last very long. Lots of pebble marks.

Thanks can you tell if the black is baked on or painted? I had the painted and it did not last very long. Lots of pebble marks.

The listing said the black was "custom painted" and would take a couple of days till he could ship them, due to curing time. He shipped mine the next day and the black looks more like black plastic and not paint.

Ask the seller and he might be able to answer your question better.

The listing said the black was "custom painted" and would take a couple of days till he could ship them, due to curing time. He shipped mine the next day and the black looks more like black plastic and not paint.

Ask the seller and he might be able to answer your question better.
Perfect thanks again :)

We just got our black emblems installed yesterday on our 2016 sport. Got them from same ebay seller as DMG632. They look great. We'll see how they hold up. Ours were attached the same as the above pics.

We just got our black emblems installed yesterday on our 2016 sport. Got them from same ebay seller as DMG632. They look great. We'll see how they hold up. Ours were attached the same as the above pics.
I had some very poor painted ones and they did not last long.

On the 2016 Sports:

I might order these tonight. Any issues getting the badges off on the 2016. I've heard the front is a pain in the butt, and the rear you just have to get something under it and pull until it pops off.

I'll have to look, but can you get your arm in through the top to get to the nut on the front badge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might order these tonight. Any issues getting the badges off on the 2016. I've heard the front is a pain in the butt, and the rear you just have to get something under it and pull until it pops off.

I'll have to look, but can you get your arm in through the top to get to the nut on the front badge?

The rear emblem is held on with tape and 2 black plastic pieces that snap in to the body, kind of like a dry wall anchor. They are not screwed in, but rather they snap in.

The front is a pain if you leave the grill in. I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with a small extension (10 MM socket). If you remove the top shroud (2- push/lock pins and several 10 MM bolts) you can pull the grill forward to get to the 2 nuts holding the emblem on (working from the top. It's not hard, you just can't see the 2 nuts that you are undoing.

Back