• Register Today It's free!

admsvcs

Reaction score
City, State
Kerrville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
1996 Explorer XLT 4.0L

I began this saga trying to fix an instrument cluster where the odometer and trip meter did not work and the tachometer worked intermittently. All other gauges worked correctly. I bought a used cluster, removed the old one and replaced it with the one I recently purchased. The odometer and trip meter worked as expected, but the temperature gauge did not. The tachometer in the replacement cluster also works intermittently.

1. Can I replace the inoperative temperature gauge with the one from the cluster where the temperature gauge functions properly?
2. What would be the cause for the intermittent tachometer? For no apparent reason the tachometer will display zero and moments later it will display what I think is the correct rpm.
3. What is the range of years from which I can select a replacement cluster? I was told 1995 through 1997, but I don’t know if that is correct.
4. Is there a place on or linked to the forum where I can buy a used cluster, if I need to?
5. Is there a video to help me? I had help from a friend before, but I do not have the confidence to try it myself without assistance.

Thank you for any help you can offer. Norm

Back