How to: - Headrest Screen Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Headrest Screen Install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
as you're peering in to the hole, you should be able to see the faint outline of the bars, I sliced under the bars.. then slid the lid under the bars..

Si

I have an idea. Could you use MS paint to draw a line where you made the cut to slide in the lid? It seems like a really good idea to put it in there behind the bars like you did. I just don't understand how you made a cut "under" the bars to get the lid in. Do you have any pictures of that step?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an idea. Could you use MS paint to draw a line where you made the cut to slide in the lid? It seems like a really good idea to put it in there behind the bars like you did. I just don't understand how you made a cut "under" the bars to get the lid in. Do you have any pictures of that step?

Ditto...

please excuse the sesame street style drawing, but I'm not very good with a laptop pointer..

Hope this clarifies for you...

howto.jpg

Si

please excuse the sesame street style drawing, but I'm not very good with a laptop pointer..

Hope this clarifies for you...

howto.jpg

Si

LOL! Nice drawings! I was thinking more along the lines of drawing a line on the picture(s) you posted originally, but that works.

So I think I got it. You wedged a knife in through the square hole, cutting at an angle to get behind the bars, and cut 3 edges (sides and top), leaving the bottom attached and making the foam in the middle into a flap. You folded the flap back,exposing the bars, wedged the lid in behind the bars, and then pushed the flap back over to cover the lid? Is that right?

I kept thinking you were saying that you just made one slit and then slid the lid into it, which doesn't explain how you could get anything behind the bars without removing the leather cover completely.

Thanks!

yeah, that's basically how i did it

I did take photos but you couldn't see and I didn't have anyone to hand to film it for me

Si

Right as Promised, I've taken some photos of the completed article and a video!!

16042007.jpg

16042007006.jpg

th_19042007.jpg

Hope you like

Si

Sweet!

I have a question though. I get why you put the plastic lid in there, and that you screwed the frame/back piece to it for more support, but where exactly did you slide the plastic? I mean, what holds it in there? Did you actually get it behind the bars? Does that mean you had to take out all of the foam between the back of the heardrest (where the screen is now) and the bars? Because in the picture, you can't see the bars, which leads me to think that you didn't take out that much foam. Could you clarify? Thanks!

I just picked up my Alpine heardrest monitors last week. They are 7", and they are just a tiny bit too large for my 3rd gen headrests. I can squeeze them in ghetto style (no!) or have an upholstery shop make larger headrests for me.

I have just had 7" alpine screens put into my 3rd gen headrests. What they did was put the surround for the screen under the covering so the only thing showing is the screen. It was a tight fit but it worked and looks realy good.

Ok I have a '95 XLT with captains chairs and I was wondering if its the same basic process for these. Also, where did you connect the power wires into?

I ran a power wire from the battery, under the UK passenger side (US driver's side) of my Ex up to the rear and through a rubber grommet behind the back seat.
I used an earthing point behind the seat for the negative wire.

I don't know what the captain's chairs look like, if they've got headrests in then it should be the same

Si

Here is a picture of captains chairs, as you can see there's no removable headrest, the whole back of the chair is one piece. If you don't know don't worry about it I just thought your truck looked pretty good with them and I wanted to try the project myself.
http://www.olywa.net/singletonsrv/P4060139.JPG

I'm not sure, you'll need to check if there's no bars across the back, the easiest way is to use the chairs that I did.

The old seats I had were the bucket ones and there's 2 bars at the top that get in the way of where the screens would go

Si

Ok thanks a lot. I'll go to car toys or something and ask them if I'd have the same problem with the bars getting in the way.

I have just had 7" alpine screens put into my 3rd gen headrests. What they did was put the surround for the screen under the covering so the only thing showing is the screen. It was a tight fit but it worked and looks realy good.

That's how they ended up doing mine. They filed the corners of the plastic trim down just a tad to keep them from poking out and being too noticable.

Headrests

That's how they ended up doing mine. They filed the corners of the plastic trim down just a tad to keep them from poking out and being too noticable.

That sounds really nice, wish I thought of that.

But I just wanted to express my thanks to blueka. I used this thread to do mine and I was really pleased with the results. So thanks again!
Here's a pic.
monitors.jpg

looks good- now i gotta get some new front seats w/headrests

How do you hide the wires coming out of the flat screen? Do you snake them through the holes the head rest inserts into?

Thanks

I made a small incision in the top of the seat and threaded the wires thru the seat down to the floor, and under the carpet where the wires for the seats come thru..

hope this helps

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am looking into putting 7" alpines in mine too but i want to see how they look first. do you have any pictures of yours?

Back