Help - Intermittent tick from under body when fully warmed up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Intermittent tick from under body when fully warmed up.

Vet Rider

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
So my 2017 is making this intermittent tick at idle, and i can really hear it when Im sitting in a drive through or something where the engine noise is echoed back up to the passenger compartment. I dont hear it in the car, but only with my window down. The ticking doesnt seem to be related to engine RPM. And it does not have an even rhythm. But it only happens when fully warmed up. Im thinking its exhaust related. Maybe a joint not tight all the way? Again it only happens when hot. Truck has 2300 miles and has not had the first oil change yet. I will take it in, but I was hoping someone would say this is normal or know what it is from experience. My wife has an almost identical 17 Ecoboost 2.3 explorer and hers has never done this. Hers has 18000 miles. Mine is an XLT 3.5l. Any ideas before I take it in??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can hear mine making a ticking noise when I hop out to get my mail from the roadside community mail box. My 2014 MKT did it as well. Seems to be coming from the engine so I'm not sure if we are discussing the same sound. Not worried about it. Don't notice it when the engine is cold.
Check out post #4 in this thread; Ticking sound from engine

Peter

I spoke to my dealer. The dealer says it may be the exhaust, and if so thats a normal sound. Its going in for the recall and this on Monday evening. I will update what they say. When he said exhaust, I think they mean the exhaust wiggling from the engine running, and its making noise. Im ok with it, but I'd like them to try and tighten everything. Mine is brand new, and Im sure the heat cycles on the exhaust has something loose.

I spoke to my dealer. The dealer says it may be the exhaust, and if so thats a normal sound. Its going in for the recall and this on Monday evening. I will update what they say. When he said exhaust, I think they mean the exhaust wiggling from the engine running, and its making noise. Im ok with it, but I'd like them to try and tighten everything. Mine is brand new, and Im sure the heat cycles on the exhaust has something loose.
I updated my post with a link.

It could be the exhaust expanding/contracting. My Mustang does that quite noticeably after driving hard and then stopping. I guess I've never noticed it or paid attention to it on the explorer.

Also, this tick, any chance it's the A/C compressor kicking on/off? That's usually accompanied by an RPM change though, which you say you don't have any rpm changes.

That's usually accompanied by an RPM change though, which you say you don't have any rpm changes.
No perceptible rpm change on my Platinum or previous MKT.

Back