• Register Today It's free!

Loud ticking!!!!!!!

PhillyV8Power

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Im getting a loud & fast ticking noise coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment.It only happens on cold startup.It stops after its warmed up.The oil levels are fine,& it has 132,000 miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a lifter tapping. You've got a 14 year old vehicle, and assuming an original build engine this is a normal sound. Its not all that serious, but it will not get better. The reason you hear it and then it goes away is when you shut off the engine, the oil is leaking out of your lifters. Until the oil pump (and pressure) build up in the system and refills the lifter, it'll make a tapping noise.

You can expect to hear it more when its cold (winter). What you can do is 1) switch to a 10W-40 motor oil which will quiet the sound "some", or 2) rebuild the valve train.

agreeing, and building on the above it my be a bad oil filter causing this. Try a new, good ( not a fram brand) oil filter. It cannot hurt anything and will not be very expensive. They do fail right out of the box. I have experienced this exact thing and had friends experience it also.

I would switch to a lower viscosity oil like 5w30 for winter. I believe 0w-30 synthetic is even safe for these trucks.

Also, these v8's do throw exhaust manifold bolts, and the manifolds have been known to crack. Sometimes a leak due to a missing bolt will quiet down when warm.

Thank you guys i thought it was a lifter tapping.Damn more and problems with this thing.

Is it louder when you are accelerating? these engines are notorious for exhaust leaks, which can sound like lifter tap.

Mine had an exhaust lead that sounded like that. When warmed up was getting quiet.
After I fixed the leak, I start hearing the lifter tapping.

Oh well...

Back