• Register Today It's free!

High idle mod for 4.0

Firefighter742

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
I plan on modifying and installing a Sanders a/c compressor to provide unlimited air, to maximize effectiveness and efficiency, I've been trying to find a way to install/fabricate a high idle switch to use when the compressor is being used. It'll hold the engine around 1500 rpm ideally. Does anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this? I searched online but only found resources for diesels and much much newer vehicles (that plug into the computers). My compressor will only be used when the vehicle is in park, so it makes sense to idle it up to refill my air tanks more efficiently!
Any ideas are welcome, all avenues of accomplishing this will be considered and I'll post a write up when this portion of the build is finished!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could use a choke cable setup.

I would think there may be a way to trigger the high idle mode used for A/C, but not sure on that.

Does your truck have AC?

There is a company called Intermotive that makes these for use in police and utility vehicles. They do make them for Explorers, but they're pricey. About $500. It ties into the data lines and tells the PCM to raise the idle. We have them on our bucket trucks, they work well. Raises the idle about 200-300 rpm. Some models are user adjustable.

Do a search on here, somebody did a writeup about using a bicycle shifter as a hand throttle for his stick shift. You could use the same thing to hold your RPMS up

I would think there may be a way to trigger the high idle mode used for A/C, but not sure on that.

Does your truck have AC?

^^this might be a good idea

jumper the AC pressure switch on the accumulator, use the ac switch and wiring to the pump.

Unless I am missing something, switching it on would raise the idle, as if the ac was being used.

^^this might be a good idea

jumper the AC pressure switch on the accumulator, use the ac switch and wiring to the pump.

Unless I am missing something, switching it on would raise the idle, as if the ac was being used.

On my 91 I had a malfunctioning pressure switch circuit for a while.

The PCM would try to cycle the compressor, but the pressure switch prevented the clutch output from closing, so no compressor, but the idle would momentarily rise each time the AC relay clicked.

This leads me to believe that there may be a lead on the AC relay that when grounded, may cause the PCM to raise idle.

I would have to look at the wiring diagrams, and that was a different year than Ops..

Have you found a solution?

Back