Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How hard to change rear axle bearing??

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by wisneski7, August 5, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wisneski7

wisneski7 Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, WI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '01 Sport
      My wife was driving my explorer last week and said she hear a loud bang. I drove the explorer after and didn't notice any problem. There has been a bearing like roar developing from the rear however, and changing the axle bearings was on my list of things to do.

Anyhow, I noticed yesturday a large puddle of oil under the left rear tire, so Im sure the bearing/seal are shot. Should I bring it in or is this something that can be done myself? Any guidance would be helpful, I've rebuilt engines and done just about everything, except rear axle work.

Aaron

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. BubbaFL

BubbaFL Active Member

City, State:
      Central Florida
      1986 Corvette
      It doesn't take a huge amount of skill, just a slide hammer, bearing puller, maybe a big gear puller to get the rear rotors off, and something to clean the gear oil out of your hair after draining and refilling the diff.

I'd do both sides while you're back there, and look into the offset "repair bearings" instead of direct replacements (you won't know if you need them until you get the axle shafts pulled).

4. G-96XLT

G-96XLT Active Member

City, State:
      Toronto, ONT
      '96 XLT , '00 Sport
      easy but time consuming and since you have to drain the diff you might as well do both sides. pretty much impossible without the slider hammer with the bearing pulled attachment.

5. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      Yeah, as stated above, pretty reasonable, just don't get ahead of yourself. I think there is a how-to in the transmission/differential sub-forum. You can get the tool at the auto parts store on the loaner program. And go to the dealer and pick up a new bolt for the pin.
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214805

Last edited: August 5, 2011
    6. wisneski7

wisneski7 Member

City, State:
      Green Bay, WI
      '01 Sport
      Cool thanks for the info everyone!