How many tools does it take to add oil to the rear diff? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many tools does it take to add oil to the rear diff?

It took 190 fp to crush the new sleeve on mine I used a beem style torque wrench it was a pita
1/16 of a inch at a time
the rotational force was say 10 in pounds
1/16 more and it was at 18 in pounds

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It took 190 fp to crush the new sleeve on mine I used a beem style torque wrench it was a pita
1/16 of a inch at a time
the rotational force was say 10 in pounds
1/16 more and it was at 18 in pounds

Sounds like a good argument for reusing the old crush sleeve.

Sounds like a good argument for reusing the old crush sleeve.
Even the ford gurus do it I just don't like giving this advice bc if you mess it up ooch not everyone takes their time like us
And it's not the way in the service manual kinda a cheat

Final Update:
Pumped in 3 quarts of gear oil through the VSS hole today (well I held the hose and the bottle upside-down and made my daughter do the pumping). Went around the block and got a howl when decelerating.

I did some research and found this meant the pinion nut was too loose. I thought I'd over-tightened it 1/4 turn, but apparently it was 3/4 of a turn too loose. Hard to judge, due to the press-fit of the flange. The site I found this info on listed symptoms for all sorts of diff noises. Pretty handy info. Apparently it takes around 200 ft lbs to compress the crush sleeve, so anything under say 150 ft lbs on the nut and you should be okay. It's almost impossible to get anything near 150 ft lbs lying on you back in the driveway so I just tightened the pinion nut as much as I could. There was a point at which I couldn't budge the breaker bar any further so I guess that's how tight it needed to be. Took it for a spin around the block and no more howling noise. No leaks either, so I'm a happy camper. I Learn something new every day. What did we ever do before the internet?
@koda2000

We learned the "harder" way! imp

@koda2000

We learned the "harder" way! imp

Yes. I wish I'd watched that video first. If I have to do this job again it will be much less daunting.

The only reason I did not post it was it's technically not the correct way
I didn't want to get the blame lol
I did it that way it leaked then I got the National seal and a new crush sleeve from Napa

Now I kinda with I did post it for ya

Even the ford gurus do it I just don't like giving this advice bc if you mess it up ooch not everyone takes their time like us
And it's not the way in the service manual kinda a cheat

I like watching FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. Very knowledgeable and great videos. Too bad he's not a part of the forum. :(

I like watching FordTechMakuloco on YouTube. Very knowledgeable and great videos. Too bad he's not a part of the forum. :(
I think he was at some point I read a post with him arguing with someone about resetting a transmission

Any advice given here is a "do it at your own risk" type of thing. Not saying it's all bad advice (some of it certainly is bad IMO) but for the most part we try to be helpful and believe in the opinions we express. Personally I feel I have the ability to judge if a way of doing something is valid. Back when I was a computer programmer if you asked 10 programmers how to do something you would get 10 different answers. All 10 would work, some solutions were more efficient/eloquent than others. It's like the old saying about there being more than one way to skin a cat.

Back