PCV spewing oil?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
My truck has 140,000 on the clock and I recently noticed that it is sending a lot of oil through the pcv valve on the valve cover back into my intake.

I cleaned my TB about four months back and when I recently cleaned it the other day I noticed it was filthy with oil. In fact you can see oil around the PCV valve cover valve that the hose conects to and inside the intake tube.

I imagine this is coating the plugs with oil possibly causing them to foul out at times.

I think I have two options, the first would be to get the oil seperator thingy and run it betweent the valve cover vent and air intake hose. Or just screw that system all together, plug the hole on the intake tube and use a small K&N vent tube. Besides the legal emissions issues would this work? I think Monmax has his configured this way.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the 5.0, and I also am noticing a bunch of oil coming into the intake via the tube that connects the intake and oil filler neck. I'm not sure how much that tube relates to the pcv system, but it seems this started happening after I put in an "advance auto" pcv in place of the original Ford one. Is it that inferior a part as to not function corrrectly?

Lazz
If your spewing alot of Oil, you have other issues, an oil separator is not the answere.

aldive said:

I've actually run these on my other vehicles, but I can't see why I would need one between the intake tubing and the oil fill. For that matter I don't fully understand why the oil fill tube, has a hose connecting it to the intake. This doesn't seem like the normal location to install a pcv catch can though it might solve the problem, I would think there is an actual fix for this problem, maybe even as simple as an OEM pcv valve?

rtbrjason said:
I've actually run these on my other vehicles, but I can't see why I would need one between the intake tubing and the oil fill. For that matter I don't fully understand why the oil fill tube, has a hose connecting it to the intake. This doesn't seem like the normal location to install a pcv catch can though it might solve the problem, I would think there is an actual fix for this problem, maybe even as simple as an OEM pcv valve?

I am not sure what you are talking about.

Tyhere is no connection at the oil fill location. What is an oil fill tube?

My filter/trap is inline between the PCV and the intake; has nothing to do with oil fill.

a pcv valve should never have oil in it's system. It is only made for air/gas to pass through

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
a pcv valve should never have oil in it's system. It is only made for air/gas to pass through

-Drew
It will on a wornout engine with bad rings and excessive blowby

aldive said:
I am not sure what you are talking about.

Tyhere is no connection at the oil fill location. What is an oil fill tube?

My filter/trap is inline between the PCV and the intake; has nothing to do with oil fill.

This is on a 5.0. The oil fill tube is where you would add oil to the vehicle. Halfway down that oil fill tube is a piece of hose running to the intake tubing. The opening on that intake tubing is oily.

aldive said:
The motor in question is a 4.0 SOHC, not a 5.0.

I was also asking about mine which is a 5.0 not a 4.0.

spindlecone said:
Lazz
If your spewing alot of Oil, you have other issues, an oil separator is not the answere.
Either your PVC has failed, inappropriately sucking the oil out of your engine and this started when you changed your PVC, or you have too much engine blow by that is what you need to look at and solve for.

rtbrjason, you need to make sure that your engine is sucking air thru the pcv valve at idle. Be sure the pcv valve works and that the pcv hose is not plugged with gunk. If the pcv hose is plugged up, the engine will start pushing crankcase blowby gases out the little hose that runs to the intake tube.

That little hose from the intake tube to the oil filler pipe is the PCV air inlet - its where the engine gets air for the crankcase to replace what is sucked into the intake thru the pcv valve.

No maybe I phrased that wrong. My engine has 140k mi and it definately does put some oil into the intake hose. I think the velocity of the Volant intake coupled with the high milage of the engine are both facors.

My truck burns no oil, but there is visible oil stains around the pcv air hose that runs to the intake tube. I am either going to install a small K&N breather or put in one of those oil seperators. We are not talking about the actual PCV valve that mounts in the back of the engine and goes to either side of the upper manifold but rather the Crankcase vent that comes out the right valve cover gasket and goes to the intake tube.

I think that it is to much oil to be going into the TB and could be possibly fouling out the plugs. Either way I Know that much oil is not good for the electrical system.

Will the K&N breather filter work? I plan on blocking the hole in the intake tube with a bolt.

Lazzman said:
My truck burns no oil, but there is visible oil stains around the pcv air hose that runs to the intake tube.

If you have visible stains, then you have a leak.

How can a leak be on the top of the engine? This is the hole in the valve cover that the black rubber tube comes out of and goes into the intake tube to the TB?

I just think it is using excessive oil- that is only my uneducated humble opinion :afro:

By the way I just replaced the whole PCV assembly with one from Motorccraft. Only problem was that the PCV valve had a different number on it than the usual EV225. It was the whole assembly with tubing and all.

The vacuum line must be leaking; evidence, the oilo stains.

I thought you checked for vacuum leaks?

I didn't but the mechanic who checked it over did.

BTW Al the problem with the fuel issue was the use of Red
Line water wetter and Dex-Cool. Lowered the temp of the engine so much that the PCM richened up the fuel ratio. To much for the engine to burn. Dumped the coolant on sunday and replaced the thermostat and she runs solid. Still see a little fouling from the plugs but that will be done shortly. Runs 100% better.

Lazzman said:
I didn't but the mechanic who checked it over did.

BTW Al the problem with the fuel issue was the use of Red
Line water wetter and Dex-Cool. Lowered the temp of the engine so much that the PCM richened up the fuel ratio.

And this mechanic didn't see the oil?

I don't see how that is possible. What was the operating temperature when this happened? What is it now?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Believe me it happend I will show you the dyno tests soon.

The temp used to be below 1/4 gauge and the engine took forever to warm up. Now the gauge is back where it is supposed to be a hair below halfway and it doesn't move.

That is one of the reasons I used the red line because it fools your PCM into thinking the air is cooler than it is and increases your fuel charge.

Back