How To: Custom Blackout Tail Lights (any Gen) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Custom Blackout Tail Lights (any Gen)

Maxstealth04

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
I decided to create my own tail lights using my stock ones. I really like the stock look so I customized them to my truck. Hope it all works as well for you as me.

First you need ALL your products.

Can of VHT Night Shade
Blue tape or any edge-locking tape
Rubbing compound and Buffing compound
Clear Coat UV Paint
Pencil or Pen
Carpet Knife or X-acto knife
2000 Grit sandpaper
Dupli-Color prep wipe (optional)

DSCN5122.jpg

I ALWAYS use Dupli-Color prep wipes when I do ANY painting. Open the package and wipe down your lights.

DSCN5107.jpg

Completely Tape off the area you do not want to paint. I did a custom look so I taped off the whole area and removed the parts I wanted painted.

DSCN5105.jpg

Than draw what you want to be visible

DSCN5108.jpg

DSCN5113.jpg

Using your carpet knife or even better an x-acto knife, follow your lines you drew

DSCN5109.jpg

DSCN5116.jpg

Remove all the tape except the viable area

DSCN5119.jpg

Then paint! I suggest doing light coats, if you get it too dark for your liking than you have do do it ALL over again, after you find a way to get it all off! You can always add more. I used 3 coats on mine.

After they dry sand it all down to get it all smooth. Once you are content, spray your clear coat on, once again I used 3 coats. Sand them again.

Now using a damp cloth, apply the rubbing compound in good and remove any access on the surface with a dry clean cloth. Do the same with the buffing compound but be more precise, the buffing compound is your deciding factor if your lights are going to be shiny or dull.

Now you are finished. Install them on your ride and enjoy!

DSCN5120.jpg

DSCN5123.jpg

DSCN5124.jpg

Stock
DSCN5078.jpg

Custom
DSCN5125.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After I saw your yesterday, I decided to do the night shades.

After i get my new one. Waiting for a loaner car at the Ford dealership so the can look at and fix anything that is needed. I got re ended on the express way by a monte carlo!

Running Lights
DSCN5129.jpg

With Brake
DSCN5130.jpg

DSCN5131.jpg

DSCN5132.jpg

That's awesome. It might just be the pictures, but it seems like during the day that could be hard to see and kind of dangerous. Is it just the pictures?

Yeah, it all shows up just as bright. Where I put the Harley logo and such was right over where the bulb is. That is why I did a design was so you can still see the lights so I do not get pulled over or rear ended.

Looks nice. I'm gonna do a write-up when I do mine too. I've done several sets of VHTd tails and I'm planning to do mine on my X tomorrow. Tried to do a set on a G6 similar to what you did here. Just didn't have the patience to do it.

Thanks all, maybe be a sticky? I do not have patience BUT since I am a disabled veteran and can not work, I have a lot of time! LOL!

looks good keep up good work

If anyone wants something like this done, I will do it for you. Just pay for shipping or new lights and paint and I will use my resources and time to complete it for you. PM me if you are interested.

Back