How to replace a factory radio in Explorer '95 EB? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace a factory radio in Explorer '95 EB?

Jacksonb34

Reaction score
City, State
Gillbertsville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '95 EB
Well, after a very hard search on the internet for a wiring harness. No luck, So I took it into my own hands with a voltmeter and splices! After a little trimming for my new double din JVC radio, I wired all the hot wires correctly, as I thought. When in reality, my ground was incorrect. So I blew the radio. Plus I couldn't find any speaker wires! After tons of searching and thinking, I discovered a busted sub woofer I didn't know my car had! So I took off the rear panel to get to it and I discovered two amps??? What are those for? And how do I hook up a new radio when I get one? Should I bypass the amp or amps? And by another amp and sub? Or replace the sub and leave the amps, but how would I hook up the radio then??

Thank you for your input, and God Bless!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One amp is for the subwoofer, the other amp is like your radios brains, and it powers all the speakers.

Your stock radio was basically just the buttons and the screen.

Oh, I see! Thank you. How would I hook up my new radio then? Does the speaker amp have outputs?

This is coming from way back in my head, so if im wrong, someone correct me but im pretty sure you have to order the harness you need online.

Whats different is that you'll have one harness right there, for your power/ground/ignition/illumination etc and then the harness for the speakers is going to plug into the amp, and you'll have to run the wires up to the front. It sounds alot harder than it really is.

I had todo that on my 95' Sport, just took a bit longer than your average install.

Thank you for the rapid and constant replys! I have yet to get another radio. I should get one by Friday. So how would I hook up the radio to the factory sub? If I wanted to keep it, or get an 8" sub to replace it?

Back