1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to replace a factory radio in Explorer '95 EB?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Jacksonb34, July 4, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jacksonb34

Jacksonb34 New Member

City, State:
    Gillbertsville, KY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Explorer '95 EB
    Well, after a very hard search on the internet for a wiring harness. No luck, So I took it into my own hands with a voltmeter and splices! After a little trimming for my new double din JVC radio, I wired all the hot wires correctly, as I thought. When in reality, my ground was incorrect. So I blew the radio. Plus I couldn't find any speaker wires! After tons of searching and thinking, I discovered a busted sub woofer I didn't know my car had! So I took off the rear panel to get to it and I discovered two amps??? What are those for? And how do I hook up a new radio when I get one? Should I bypass the amp or amps? And by another amp and sub? Or replace the sub and leave the amps, but how would I hook up the radio then??

Thank you for your input, and God Bless!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    2006 XLT
    One amp is for the subwoofer, the other amp is like your radios brains, and it powers all the speakers.

Your stock radio was basically just the buttons and the screen.

4. Jacksonb34

Jacksonb34 New Member

City, State:
    Gillbertsville, KY
    Explorer '95 EB
    Oh, I see! Thank you. How would I hook up my new radio then? Does the speaker amp have outputs?

5. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    2006 XLT
    This is coming from way back in my head, so if im wrong, someone correct me but im pretty sure you have to order the harness you need online.

Whats different is that you'll have one harness right there, for your power/ground/ignition/illumination etc and then the harness for the speakers is going to plug into the amp, and you'll have to run the wires up to the front. It sounds alot harder than it really is.

I had todo that on my 95' Sport, just took a bit longer than your average install.

6. crunchie_frog

crunchie_frog Active Member

City, State:
    Johnson City, TN
    Multiple 99-00 5.0 AWD
  7. Jacksonb34

Jacksonb34 New Member

City, State:
    Gillbertsville, KY
    Explorer '95 EB
    Thank you for the rapid and constant replys! I have yet to get another radio. I should get one by Friday. So how would I hook up the radio to the factory sub? If I wanted to keep it, or get an 8" sub to replace it?