Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Int. light comes on with vibration (HELP)

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Trac726, July 9, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Trac726

Trac726 Member

City, State:
      Tampa FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      08 Explorer SportTrac XLT
      Ok I need some help with this strange situation going on. My interior lights come on by theirselves. Mostly from vibration like when i go over a rough patch in the road or go over some railroad tracks, but it doesnt happen all the time. It has also happened while making a left turn a few times. Drumming on the sterring wheel will do it as well and thats how i get the lights to pop off. The only thing i can figure is theres a loose wire somewhere but my question is where. Like i said, hammering on the steering wheel will get it to shut off so im assuming the wire, or whatever, is in that general area.

Does anyone know what this might be? any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      I'm gonna take a shot here. I have a 3rd Gen Ex and not an ST! From what you are describing, I'd say it is loose wire(s) at the multifunction switch or a faulty multifunction switch.

Hopefully the ST guys will chime in soon. Good luck with the fix. :D:thumbsup:

4. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      Ford has special service message to replace ignition tumbler for this concern. If it has power seats they may move slightly also. If you move the key around it may do it also.

5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      Thanks for bailing me out swetrid. ;)

6. Trac726

Trac726 Member

City, State:
      Tampa FL
      08 Explorer SportTrac XLT
      Im not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you saying that when the key is in the ignition, it may be rattleing around causing this? also i dont have power seats

7. mooshin

mooshin Member

City, State:
      AZ
      2008 Sport Trac XLT
      Maybe this is NOT related, but I have experienced less than reliable operation of the overhead dome light switch. It is garbage and could come on with vibration.