Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intermittent Air To Dash Vents

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by TechKnow, October 7, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. TechKnow

TechKnow New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Explorer
    I have a 2000 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) with auto climate controls (with controls on the steering wheel as well as the dash)

Recently air stopped coming out of the dash. The AC clutch engages, but no love from the vents... :(

I replaced the relay and checked the fuses but no dice.

Recently we heard a thunk from the rear of the vehicle (I think it was the rear, never can tell) and presto, the air came back on. It has done this two or three times.

Every time it starts working, we hear the thunk first then it is good to go. When it doesn't work... Nothing... Not even crickets.

Before I take it somewhere to get ripped off, I was hoping for a prelimanary diagnoses from the good folks here.

Thanks for everything in advance. I hope I have made the issue clear enough.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. SoNic67

SoNic67 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Newport News, VA
    2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
    Do you get heat?

My bend door actuator broke a few teeth and I did have only A/C, no heat - the door remained stuck on "cold". Maybe yours is stuck on "heat" and will move a little bit when you have that clunk/shock - that might be the splines of the rear shaft. After a while maybe it slides back in same position.

4. Turdle

Turdle Freelance Stuntman Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty