Is It the Transfer Case or Front Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is It the Transfer Case or Front Differential

steambucket

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
This is my first post on this forum and so many other members have put some great post and how-to procedures, that I felt I should join as a paid member. The information on this forum has been worth much more than the cost of the membership and I appreciate all the useful contributions so far.

I have a problem with my vehicle, which I have not found an answer to yet.

Vehicle: 2001 Mercury Mountaineer, 5.0 liter AWD, BW 4404 transfer case (viscous coupling , I think, D4 axle code= 3.73 ls rear differential, 96,000 miles on the vehicle.

Summary of problem: 1) low pitch whirring noise on even the slightest acceleration coming from transfer case, front differential area. 2) Binding on turns, any radius, like a 4x4 makes on dry pavement.

History:
1) started making an intermittent clunking popping noise when turning, It is my sons car and I don’t know if it was making other noises before this
2) I drove it on a 800 mile trip and by the end the clunk turned into a grind that sounded like part of the car was dragging the pavement some of the time, also noticed at a pit stop that the wheels seemed to bind when turning, like a 4x4 with locked differentials
3) Replaced the driver side half shaft and the front drive shaft, both of which had failed CV joints, inboard one on the half shaft.
4) The clunking/popping noise was fixed but the binding is still occurring and now I can notice the low pitch whirring noise at speeds of 40+ mph.. When first driven, it can take anywhere from 20 ft to 100 yds before the binding starts, and sometimes it starts right away.

Took the car to a reputable but expensive repair shop and the recommendation was to drive it into the river. Said he could not tell what was wrong except by opening it up and by the time he was done with replacing pieces by trial and error the expense could me more that the car is worth

The car is in great shape otherwise and I would like to keep it. A new car is too expensive, most used cars are just someone else’s problem they are ditching and I can’t sell this in the shape it is in. I can afford and prefer to use remanufactured parts becuase I need a reliable car, and I am pretty sure I could replace the transfer case myself. So far have not found many reman front differentials and it seems that most people tend to have theirs repaired.

Questions
1)Any help with the diagnosis, could the differential be causing the binding, or is the transfer case? The fact that sometimes it doesn’t bind right away makes me think the viscous coupling is bad.
2) Which should I replace, first the tc or the fdiff?
3) Any good sources for reman front diffs?
4) Also, the service manuals say to mark the front drive shaft to transfer case and differential, so that it can be reinstalled in the same rotational alignment. How does this apply to a drive shaft replacement? On the transfer case end the cup yoke ensures correct center alignment. Is there any special procedure for centering the front differential end with the cardon joint?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for taking the time to read it. Also, thanks in advance for any helpful advice you have.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

recommendation was to drive it into the river. Said he could not tell what was wrong except by opening it up and by the time he was done with replacing pieces by trial and error the expense could me more that the car is worth This guy is reputable? B.S., sorry to say.

The car is in great shape otherwise and I would like to keep it. A new car is too expensive, most used cars are just someone else’s problem they are ditching and I can’t sell this in the shape it is in. I can afford and prefer to use remanufactured parts becuase I need a reliable car, and I am pretty sure I could replace the transfer case myself. So far have not found many reman front differentials and it seems that most people tend to have theirs repaired.

Questions
1)Any help with the diagnosis, could the differential be causing the binding, or is the transfer case? The fact that sometimes it doesn’t bind right away makes me think the viscous coupling is bad. Not likely, IMO.
2) Which should I replace, first the tc or the fdiff? Neither; read below please.
3) Any good sources for reman front diffs? Sorry, no.
4) Also, the service manuals say to mark the front drive shaft to transfer case and differential, so that it can be reinstalled in the same rotational alignment. How does this apply to a drive shaft replacement? It doesn't. Replacing a factory shaft in original locations, ensures factory balance is undisturbed. New shafts install any orientation, then check for vibration. If present, Ford Shop Manual details how to correct without machine shaft balancing, using worm-gear clamps.
On the transfer case end the cup yoke ensures correct center alignment. Is there any special procedure for centering the front differential end with the cardon joint?

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for taking the time to read it. Also, thanks in advance for any helpful advice you have.

David

The "binding" you describe has been eluding my discovery on a '98 Explorer. Today I found it. The noise occurred only when turned right, disappeared when rolled left at slow vehicle speeds. I first thought, wheel bearing (weight relieves during turning), replaced wheel bearing and hub, old unit felt good in hand, noise remained.

Remove front wheels, if you are not sure which side noise originates from. Carefully look at rear brake surface of rotors. If a score is found in the back surface, not normal wear appearance, but a deep gouge around the entire circumference, about 4 inches from center of rotor, look carefully to see if the rotor is contacting the lip of the lower support arm. A worn lower ball joint allows this to happen, as the clearance between the rotor back surface and the arm is very small. I could not detect looseness in the ball joint by pulling/pushing on the tire, as shop manual suggests. But under load.....???

This happened to me. Finding it surely saves going into a differential, which of course MIGHT make nearly similar sound, but usually, chipped/cracked differential gears will quickly fail altogether, and not continue making noise very long. Let us know if this might be it! imp

Binding in curves - TC and differential changed, but the problem is still there

Hello, would be desperetly interested to know what the outcome of the issue was. I have no noise, but i have a binding in sharp curves, at low speed.
I spent the whole day at a work shop and still no solution
Today i brought it to a shop and they told me that it was the TC and they replaced it within 2 hours. We test-drove the car - but the problem still there.

Then they said that the problem was coming from the rear differential - so they replaced the differential. Again, the car is binding in curves...

What should i do?

Please advise!
Thanks and best regards

If you have the BW 4404 and have these issues check your tire diameter they all have to be within .25 "

then check CV joints in front axle, then upper cv in front drive shaft attached to the transfer case side (I would check all U joints for extra movement)

IF you want to fix it right get a manual shift BW 4406 and related parts for conversion check this site for info.

What would the rear diff have to do with it binding while turning? Did you pull the front shaft and take it for a ride and see if the binding was still there?

Hello, thanks for the suggestions guys.

I tried today what you mentioned above. We checked CV joints - all ok. Then we removed the front shaft and took for a ride. The problem is still there

Any idea? The mechanic doubts that it might be something in the gear-box. Please advise

Thanks a lot!

With the front shaft out, park on a steep hill trans in P park brake off does it roll?

Dont get out keep you foot near the brake

Hi David,

I have a question for you. You said that your truck would make a popping sound on turns. My 04 mountaineer is doing that. It's a rapid, metallic, very loud clicking (snap snap snap on turns). Is this what yours was doing? How did you fix it? The sound on mine might be coming from the transfer case.

Not saying this is your issue... I've had a AWD V8 Mountaineer come in to my shop with the same problem. It was the transfer case slipping. I told him to take it to a 4x4/transmission shop. Two weeks later, the guy came back thanking me.

Back