Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

OK here’s an easier question. Can someone with an explorer sport 2016 and above measure from the ground to the bottom center of their plastic wheel wells. Trying to gauge stock ride height of other sports.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys!
I own a 2016 explorer limited and i installed Traxda lift kit for it (That was the only option for my SUV on the market as of right now.
So i wonder if there's any kinda customization lift so i could go 4 to 5 inches higher (total).
Thank you guys for your time!

Have you contacted Traxda directly? I know they offer add-on spacers/shims to add additional lift to some kits.

Have you contacted Traxda directly? I know they offer add-on spacers/shims to add additional lift to some kits.
While they may indeed, it doesn't seem to be a very good/wise thing to do. To add an additional 5 inches to the already existing lift would certainly change the center of gravity and make it more prone to roll over. Not to mention it would probably negatively affect the drivetrain and suspension system and possibly other electronically controlled systems programmed to operate within the factory specs.

Peter

If I install the 1.25" Traxda on the front, will it allow me to fit bigger tires on the front and rear? I don't like the front and rear lift from Traxda as I want it to be leveled.

Hi All, I got in contact with Traxda this week and sent them the specs on my 2016 Explorer Sport after the installation of their 2.25” F and 1.25” rear. Needless to say they were not very happy to hear that the kit didn’t end up leveling the car and will be working on an Explorer this Friday to possibly R&D a new kit to ensure they come out level. I’ll keep you posted.

Hi All, I got in contact with Traxda this week and sent them the specs on my 2016 Explorer Sport after the installation of their 2.25” F and 1.25” rear. Needless to say they were not very happy to hear that the kit didn’t end up leveling the car and will be working on an Explorer this Friday to possibly R&D a new kit to ensure they come out level. I’ll keep you posted.
Thanks for the heads up. I returned my kit after chatting with you. I'll hold off until they get the issue fixed.

If I install the 1.25" Traxda on the front, will it allow me to fit bigger tires on the front and rear? I don't like the front and rear lift from Traxda as I want it to be leveled.
There is probably a reason most vehicles, especially SUV'S and trucks are a little higher in the rear. I believe it may have to do with the headlights. If you put weight in the back, the truck will sit level. If the back was level to begin with, the weight would cause the back to drop lower than the front and when the headlights are on they would shine higher. Not good for oncoming traffic or when following another vehicle. If you level the Explorer, you should make sure that your headlights are still adjusted correctly whether you have weight in it or not.

Peter

Here is an update from Canada.
A bit less than a year ago I did the lift 2.5f 1.5r and the 275/65r18 nexen rodian ra8 installation (i should have went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W since they are winter approved)
I had rubbing issues in the front (the rear of the tire was rubbing close to the rocker panel when turning so I had to trim it a bit.)
At this time I had no suspension issues. The vehicle is sable and fun to drive. Here are some pictures.

IMG_5800_zps6d8mrcgm.jpg

IMG_5798_zpswjnwymcc.jpg

IMG_5818_zpso0bhzrgo.jpg

Have you seen the kit from truxxx? I just ordered it, gonna see if i can install it. If not gonna have it done from a 4x4 shop. I have seen pics. Looks to be level. Guess i'll find out this friday. It's currently cheaper than the traxda at $225.00.

Have you seen the kit from truxxx? I just ordered it, gonna see if i can install it. If not gonna have it done from a 4x4 shop. I have seen pics. Looks to be level. Guess i'll find out this friday. It's currently cheaper than the traxda at $225.00.
I haven't yet. Let me know how it goes.

Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:

Peter

I haven't yet. Let me know how it goes.
Hey EW, well I installed that lift kit from truxxx. It looks great. I then put on some bigger tires, a set of Nitto terra graps G2's. 275/55 20. With these they rub a tiny bit on a part of the suspension up front. I should be able to fix that with an angle grinder and grind down like 4 to 6 cm on the part. If i went with 265/55 20s they would not rub. But i wanted a bit larger. Anyway I'm satisfied with how it came out. I hope this helps you with want you want to do to your ride.

Hey EW, well I installed that lift kit from truxxx. It looks great. I then put on some bigger tires, a set of Nitto terra graps G2's. 275/55 20. With these they rub a tiny bit on a part of the suspension up front. I should be able to fix that with an angle grinder and grind down like 4 to 6 cm on the part. If i went with 265/55 20s they would not rub. But i wanted a bit larger. Anyway I'm satisfied with how it came out. I hope this helps you with want you want to do to your ride.
Just FYI. if you used that size to replace the 245/60R18 OEM tires then you are waaay over the maximum diameter tire variance of 3% of OEM size. The difference is 7.9%, more than twice the accepted difference. 245/60-R18 vs 275/55-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World This will put alot of extra strain on the brake system and suspension. As well, there are systems like traction control, stability control and ABS that are setup according to the OEM size. Also, this will render your spare tire useless.

Peter

Just FYI. if you used that size to replace the 245/60R18 OEM tires then you are waaay over the maximum diameter tire variance of 3% of OEM size. The difference is 7.9%, more than twice the accepted difference. 245/60-R18 vs 275/55-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World This will put alot of extra strain on the brake system and suspension. As well, there are systems like traction control, stability control and ABS that are setup according to the OEM size. Also, this will render your spare tire useless.

Peter
The tire size that came on mine was a 255/50-20. I used that tire size comparison/calculator when choosing these tires. I'll be getting a used tire in this size for the spare. As for the ABS, traction cntrl there won't be any issues. Thanks for the feedback.

The tire size that came on mine was a 255/50-20. I used that tire size comparison/calculator when choosing these tires. I'll be getting a used tire in this size for the spare. As for the ABS, traction cntrl there won't be any issues. Thanks for the feedback.
I doubt a spare suitable for that size tire will fit in the tire well. Others have tried using an OEM full tire size back there and it did not fit. Good luck.

Peter

NewB from California and here is my 2017 2.3 ecoboost lifted with the traxda lift. I only installed the front spacer though. Running 17x9 +18 with 265/65 and no rubbing. Someone had asked if it was possible to run 17s on an EX with factory tow package, the answer is yes, I have it.

image1_3.jpg
Looks really good.

Hey guys, been enjoying reading these posts, Im looking to get the Traxda lift kit Part number: 102040 for my 2014 ex sport and I see on their website they offer the extra lift option for an added 1/4". I see how that makes their 2"F 1.25"R lift go to 2.25"F 1.5"R , im wondering how everyone ordered the 2.5"F 1.5"R lift? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum camtech510.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is a 1/4 inch really worth worrying about? I’d send them an email.

Back