• Register Today It's free!

Loose Steering Wheel

Holligl

Reaction score
City, State
Hoffman Estates, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited Platinum
Dropped off the '11 Yesterday for the second time with a loose steering wheel. It wiggles up and down and sideways, the first time had gotten up to about 1/4 inch, second time 1/8". (No slop in the rotation.) A bit disturbing when braking or accelerating. The dealer has ordered a replacement steering column and provided a loaner since they don't want it driven. Ford requested the dealer send the old column in for inspection since the bolt keeps walking out. Early Dec build. The SN is in the high 6000's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something like this needs to be well documented (by you) in the unlikely event of a Lemon Law claim. Check the requirements for your specific State, and document accordingly.

If it's a bolt coming loose, I wonder if the dealer even tried using a threadlocker on it.

I wonder if the dealer even tried using a threadlocker on it.

I for one, would like a little better solution than a dab of red threadlocker!:) I am also sure my wife, daughters, insurance company, and employer would agree.

IF the problem is simply a bolt backing out, threadlocker is a viable solution. That's why threadlocker is used, to prevent threaded together items from coming loose due to vibration, thermal changes, etc. Depending upon what threadlocker is used, the resulting joint can be extremely strong and durable. In my business (and in the automotive business), threadlockers are used as standard practice on many bolts for just this reason. It's not a cheap patch to fix a problem, it's an integral part of the joint.

Obviously without more detail on the exact situation, we are all speculating....

IF the problem is simply a bolt backing out, threadlocker is a viable solution. That's why threadlocker is used, to prevent threaded together items from coming loose due to vibration, thermal changes, etc. Depending upon what threadlocker is used, the resulting joint can be extremely strong and durable. In my business (and in the automotive business), threadlockers are used as standard practice on many bolts for just this reason. It's not a cheap patch to fix a problem, it's an integral part of the joint.

Obviously without more detail on the exact situation, we are all speculating....

I understand what your saying, I'd just like to know about the actual root cause. I agree about the speculation part, too.

Ask for compensation as this is a very bad safety issue. I suggest you ask for an accessory or a extended warranty/ maintenance plan.

I just saw another posting on facebook with the same problem. They did replace both my steering column, bolt, and steering wheel. No problems since.

Same thing here...dealer said not a big deal

My steering wheel is also loose, about 1/4". I called the dealer and he said that it wasn't anything to worry about, Ford was aware of it and might do a recall but just to swing by when I'm free or have the next oil change. I asked if it "would come off while I'm going down the freeway?" and he said no way at all.

Oh Oh. I don't think the steering wheel is supposed to do that. Anything that has to do with the steering of the vehicle is a big deal. It is not supposed to be lose, therefore, it is not in proper operating condition. BIG DEAL. Get it fixed immediately. Call him back and tell him your coming in and that he will fix it. Unbelievable. Ford needs to spank some of their dealers.

I took the car to the dealer on Thursday and they were concerned about it after seeing it in person. They ended up replacing the steering column and it's working correctly now - thanks for your quick follow up.

My steering wheel is also loose, about 1/4". I called the dealer and he said that it wasn't anything to worry about, Ford was aware of it and might do a recall but just to swing by when I'm free or have the next oil change. I asked if it "would come off while I'm going down the freeway?" and he said no way at all.

I double checked with my ten year old daughter and she said "loose steering wheel?" That needs to be fixed right away, stop driving it! LOL

By the way, recalls are only done for safety issues.

Hi guys,

I’m sorry to hear about the issue with your steering wheel, and I’m really glad that the repairs were made to resolve the concern. If you have any other concerns you would like me to escalate for you, please send me a message and let me know!

Cory

I've experienced a similar issue with a '11 Taurus SHO. Is there any more info on whether or not this is a known issue - that might impact muptiple models?

...but thankfully, we haven't experienced this on our '11 Explorer :)

Thanks!

I would imagine it could be, I'm thinking the SHO and the Ex are using the same steering column guts since the Ex is based off the Taurus...

I've experienced a similar issue with a '11 Taurus SHO. Is there any more info on whether or not this is a known issue - that might impact muptiple models?

...but thankfully, we haven't experienced this on our '11 Explorer :)

Thanks!

Mine has been solid since the fix. I've only heard of these two cases. Pretty rare I suspect. Mine was a very early production SN 6738. Was the SHO an early build? I'm guessing the SHO/Ex Design/Manufacture/Suppliers are similar if not identical.

I have a 2nd year model of the 4th gen SHO - so I wouldn't expect it to be an early production issue - and it was built to order (versus dealer stock that may have a much earlier production date).

I had Roadside assistance tow it to the dealer yesterday - we'll have to wait and see what they find.

Service Manager at the dealer confirmed the bolt had backed out on my SHO. He also indicated that even though they tried to re-tighten it, they couldn't get it to stay secure, and advised that it could have easily worked it's way off had the vehicle continued to be driven.

They have a new bolt and steering wheel on order.

I'm hoping that will be the fix....and I'm thankful we didn't continue to drive it.

In the Phoenix area I believe the majority of vehicles on the road have a loose nut behind the wheel:D

Just had to get that in there!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 Explorer LOOSE STEERING WHEEL - Again!

My 2011 Explorer's steering wheel became dislodged from the steering column about a year ago ... had it towed into my dealership who took great care of fixing the issue. However, the steering wheel has ONCE AGAIN become wobbly on the steering column, and I am now taking it back to my dealer for a second time to fix the same (very scary) problem. I'm super frustrated having invested $40K+ in a vehicle (and brand) that I took a risk in trusting ... sadly that risk is rearing its ugly head and literally steering me in the wrong direction. Curious to see how Ford (corporate) and my dealership are going to handle this upset owner and dangerous situation this time.

Back